The high costs of eating out these days..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by williadw, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Has anyone noticed that the cost of eating out has at least doubled in the past year or two?

I used to get by with 30.00 a meal for my family of four at places like Uno's, Applebees, O'Charlies, etc....

Now it is more like 60.00+ and then the tip.

I love to go out to eat, but I don't think I can afford it anymore. :eek: 

I will look for some coupons or something the next time I go out!!

2. Food has to travel too! Cooking takes energy. So unless we shift to eating at neighborhood raw food restaurants that use only very local products, we will continue to pay!
    Why do all my hobbies cost so much????:mad: 

3. Have you looked at your supermarket total lately? Between the fuel cost increases and the use of corn for biofuels - well you get the idea!

4. deadmeat

deadmeat

Jul 18, 2008
    Sarasota, FL
    I know you might not want to have the family out very late... but around here, at our Applebee's, after 10pm all appetizers are half off!!!

I can't tell you how many times I've stuffed myself on Miniburgers, and chicken wings. It's probly why I'm so fat....

But hey, get a soda and 20 wings, you come in WAY under $10, add tip, and you're right at $10.

-meaty

5. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    I just checked my last sam's club receipt

skim milk used to be $2.60, now it is $3.13, that's a pretty big jump, but its still a lot lower than the grocery store

it took me a while to feel the impact from the rising costs, but lately I haven't been able to keep my groceries under $400/month so Im feeling it now

6. Take a nap from 7-9:30 and then do dinner. Do like they do in Spain and take a siesta in the afternoon and have a very late dinner.

7. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Yep, it's all gone up, everything. Food, energy, housing. It just costs more to produce everything and to run a business. I read somewhere (sorry I can't remember exactly where) that we can expect our cost of living to go up 20% over the next 18 months. With food showing the largest increases, both grocer and restaurants.

8. Yeah, I had to laugh when I opened the receipt for one of my retirement checks last month - a notice of 2% cola! That's not enough to cover my increased fuel costs never mind food and the other necessities. Where do they get their figures from?

9. My REAL problem is that everything I pay for with my hard earned money seems to have doubled, but my hard earned money has NOT doubled, in the same amount of time.

:frown:

10. It's not just you in the US!, where feeling it over the pond in the UK :( . I just did my usual monthly shop at my local supermarket & i have paid £40 ($80ish) more than i paid 6/8 months ago!, you guys wanna see the fuel bills over here :0, gas last week was £1.20 ($2.80) a LITRE!! ie £5.50ish ($10.94) a gallon. I think the pinch is pretty wide spread. PS anyone got a 400 2.8 for around a hundred bucks!!lol. Graham.

11. it's really horrible
    we had dinner out last night
    and lunch out today
    i don't even look at the receipts when we walk out of the restaurant... too depressing

12. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Food

With the current pricing of food and beverage, I just might loose some weight! :eek: 

13. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    not only are the prices higher, but for some strange reason Ive been getting hosed a lot at the cash register too

in the past few weeks I got rang up twice for something I bought one of, charged $3.99/pound for tomatoes instead of $3.49 which they were supposed to be, and charged extra for some zucchini

I hate it because I dont want to sit there and look over the receipt and hold up the line, and it also sucks because its only like $1.50 so you feel like a cheapskate complaining, but come on, why can't the prices be correct in the computer? don't they bother to make sure their produce prices ring up correctly?

its so frustrating to realize the mistake a few days later...yeargh, oh well

14. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    You're right on the mark Graham. I go to the UK 2-3 a year on business and always come home wondering how the hell any Brit's save any money! Yes, I realize it's all relative, but the cost of things and your taxes are so high compared to most of our stuff here in the states. I've learned to keep my mouth shut about costs when traveling outside of America!

I'll get back to you on the $100.00 400 f/2.8...:tongue:

15. Hold on it looks like the ride will get bumpy. I read that it takes 10 calories of hydrocarbons to produce 1 calorie of food. I think fresh produce will soon be a luxury for a lot of people. Unfortunatly it's getting expensive to eat healthy which makes the processed junk food all that more attractive.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

16. Dude you need...

You need to move to Australia, for a family of seven it is $53 Australian Dollars to eat steak, salad and chips for each and everyone at a local pub :biggrin:

Really depends where you eat and chains are notoriously expensive for what they offer....

I love Paris with their Cafes and little restaurants and formule menus... ( Euos for Quiche and Salad :biggrin: That's a full meal

17. Nah just go to Peru. I just got back with a team of 14 people and our average cost per meal per person was $4 U.S. I fed 19 people steak and chicken one night with soft drinks for less than $100 tip included. Of course if you eat in the wrong place you have to factor the cost of a course of Cipro in also.

18. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Corn is a basic animal feed. Now that 23% of corn has been diverted to ethanol, this is just the beginning. The emerging world has a real appetite for protein and a better diet. the Chinese have reduced tariffs on imports to encourage more food coming in.

19. :cool: 

20. Even in a socially barren monument to corrupt urban planning and the resultant big box chain sprawl like Fresno, it doesn't take that much work to find a place to eat out which is both cheaper and leagues better than the likes of Applebees (shudder).

Eating out always has and always will cost more than eating at home. The cost of everything is rising, so get used to it. If you have urge to eat out, do a little homework first, and both your body and wallet will thanks you. Not to mention that you'll be supporting local business, and hopefully local agriculture, instead of the corporate empire.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.