The (High School) Boys Of Summer

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by eng45ine, Jul 30, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Just a few images of a high school game that I shot. St. Charles East H.S. topped Oak Park-River Forest High School in this summer league matchup.
    All images shot with a D2H and 300mm f/2.8 prime

Head-first slide back into first base....

5 - 3 double play...
    View attachment 12874

Close play at first base...
    View attachment 12875

Critiques and comments are always appreciated!

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Nice work Frank...
    I might have to consider the 300mm F2.8 next.. But first I have to win the lotto to afford it... :)

3. Frank,

Nice work and good technique. :D

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Dave and Craig for the kind words. I love shooting sports, it often frustrates me, but I love shooting sports.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Frank.....

Was he safe at first.. Close call.

By the way... I have been meaning to...THANK YOU FOR THE WORK YOU DO !!!!

I love the Firemen and the EMT..Such a stressful and huge responsibility you all carry on your minds and shoulders.. your work and devotion to man kind is beyond words. The best there is.

I photograph them often. One of these day I will get the photos printed for them and bring to thier respective stations.

God Bless you ALL !!!!!!!

ALSO TO OUR MILITARY

May ALL the ANGELS follow you every day of your lives.

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Aw, Thanks Gale...very nice words, I appreciate that very much. The fire service is a special vocation and I am privileged to be a small part of it. I work for a small municipal department...65 uniformed personnel working out of two firehouses. Twenty-one per shift...most of us a paramedics as well. When I started my career, we responded to about 900+ calls per year (1978)...last year we responded to 7500+ (2004). I am blessed to work with some of finest people on this earth...and with the click of a microphone, the rest of the best come to help from their respective departments.

Thanks again for your sincere acknowledgment to us and those that serve in our military. :)

7. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Great shots Frank. can you share some exposure data with us?

Many years ago in the time of film I used to shoot little league games just for fun until the parents kept asking if they could buy them. I had much more time then and really supported my habit with that. Shoot one night and have the prints at the next game.

You also must have a pretty open field. Most of the "new" fields around here have 6 foot high fences clear out to the outer fence. Gotta protect the spectators you know.

BTW, wish I could get up there for the water and air show. Last air show I went to was in Springfield this spring and the Blue Angles performed at 2pm. the sun was directly behind them. Crap for pics. You should have a good sun angle.

Good luck.

8. Great shots, Frank! Each shot tells its own story! Great timing.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Greg,

Thanks so much for the kind words. All of these images were taken with my D2H and 300mm f/2.8on a monopod...using Aperture Priority

Image #1 was shot at 1/8000 second, aperture f2.8, ISO 400

Image #2 was shot at 1/1500 second, aperture f2.8, ISO 200

Image #3 was shot at 1/5000 second, aperture f2.8, ISO 400

The only PS work was cropping and USM.....

Thanks for asking, Greg...and there's plenty of room to my left and right at the upcoming Air and Water Show for anyone interested in attending!!! Don't be shy!!!

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Kev.....