The Hood Blimp

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Aqualung, Jun 28, 2007.

1. The other day I had my new 70-300VR in to show a fellow Nikon shooter in the office; the Hood blimp was cruising by.

I'm on the 5th floor and grabbed a few shots, all at f10/300mm. Shot A, shoulda shot M and underexposed to avoid the blown highlights.

Granted, they're through a tinted office window, but see the CA that's visible, especially at the white outline. Think this is normal for this lens?

C&C? Always welcome.

blimp-003.

blimp-008.

blimp-012.

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I really don't see anything to worry about. We'd have to know more about the shots, camera, raw, jpegs, etc.

3. D200, 70-300, jpg, f10, 300mm FL

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    At the size posted, I don't see any CA myself, but that's not to say it isn't there. It really depends on how you set up your D200 to do jpegs, the jpeg process can accentuate abberitions like CA. If it seems bothersome, try shooting RAW and see if it improves. I see you have some good glass, and while the 70-300 VR is good, it's not in the same league as the f2.8 lenses so it's not going to be as good. You might also try opening up a little, f10 is getting very near the point where diffraction losses from the aperture blades start coming into play. While almost a non-issue for 35mm film, this seems to affect DSLRs at a much lower f number.

5. Nice to see it out of the woods!! :biggrin:

6. thanks, yeah, I prob should have stuck w/ f8....in pic #2, along the top edge of the blimp's "nose", I see a little greenish hue...

7. yeah, and away from Fenway :smile: