The Horror of Nature (warning)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, Jul 23, 2007.

1. If you’re a dog lover you may not want to look at these photos.
    Back in February of 2006 I was coming back from the Delaware River where I was watching some of the northern birds here for migration. On my way I have to pass this location where this pair of eagles live just about all year long. As I was driving up the road I noticed the female out on the ice and feeding at something while the male was bathing in the open water. I stopped my wagon and then pulled it onto the bank of grass and looked with my binoculars. I could not be sure what it was they had so I mounted my spotting scope on the wagon rack and could not believe what I was watching. At first I thought it was a coyote but later realized it was not. I set my tripod and my 500 with a 1.4 TE on it and at about 400 feet I took these photos. What you are looking at here is or was a Chocolate Lab and most likely some ones pet that had walked out on the ice and fell through and drowned. The pair of eagles had found it and fed on it for several days but they had a tough time getting it out of the ice but the strength of the female did the job and the sight is not pretty, it is a horror of nature. The dog died but the eagles fed.
    The slide show is in the order I took the photos and I did move around. Also it was late afternoon and I did bump the ISO up and it is a long ways for a photo but a very informative series for the DEC. Just click on slide show if you want to view it as such.
    Lou
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/loub/sets/72157600968081111/

2. That's quite a series of pics Lou. To bad for the dog and it's owner(s). I've heard about large raptors carrying off small dogs. I had a GBH carry off my Niece's Barbie doll. Darn thing walked into the house through the open patio door and picked up Barbie b y the hair. Flew off with her also. Too bad I didn't get a vidoe of this. Those whacky birds.

3. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Nice work Lou. That's mother nature.

4. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Not sure what to say about that simply because it's a dog and mine is sitting in my lap as I type this. Unfortunate for the dog but good fortune for the eagles and they weren't responsible for the death so...............

By the way I watched the slideshow of the bears while I was there. Awesome!

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Seems I have seen this before:>)))

6. Now Mike that is quite a story. Next time have a camera will you:biggrin:
    Hey thanks for the look.
    Lou

7. Yeah Jimmy it is. I could not believe it when I put the scope on it. This was a first for me getting it on film digital of cause. Could not believe the strgenth of that female pulling. She is not an old bird 1996 born as is her mate.
    Lou

8. I hear you Andy and that's why I place a warning on any photos with a little gore to them. I don't want to offend anyone It was a sight I won't see to often yet get some photos of even at long range.
    Lou

9. I don't think on here Gale but I have posted some of these photos on other sites so maybe you saw them there. I did post one on the attack of a female eagle on a youngster a while back on here as a matter of fact it was the very same female eagle that did that attact
    Lou

10. Nice capture of a critical part of lifes circle

11. Yeah it is GAry but I could not help but think this Lab must have been someones pet and not a wild animal but it should not have been running loose either. Ahhh well like you say a circle of life
    Lou

12. Not something I want to see but very nice captures.

13. I hope Phil it did not offend you as the reason for the warning. But I see it as a very rare part of nature and I considered myself lucky to be in the right place at the right time and having the right equipment with me. I have seen a lot of strange sights with eagles but never one like this due to the determination of the female. I watched till dark and I am sure they returned the next day and kept coming till it was gone.
    Lou

14. No problem Lou. It did not offend me, and I was prepared for it after reading your post. As you said, it's part of nature.

15. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Ok, it took me all day to work up the nerve to view these, but I did it. Fascinating stuff, in a car-accident kind of way. Bald eagles are stunningly beautiful birds.

Birds so often get the short end of the stick it seems. Maybe these two are getting some back?

Interesting shot of the female(?) pulling the animal out of the water with one foot while standing on the other foot and flapping.

16. Andy I missed that comment on looking at the bears also. They are something aren't they? Just the other day I had a very nice female with a tiny cub on my front porch right by my front door. I had the misfortune of having this surprise happen to me several years ago on my back deck. I opened my back door to go out (Broad daylight) and I was looking at a bear standing on her hind feet looking right at me and about 20 inches from me. Man I closed that door fast.:biggrin: BTW the slide show on the nestbuild was for this same pair of birds.
    Lou

17. Pia, I hope you were not offended by what you saw. I know both these birds quite well as the bands gave me their entire life history and that female I monitor the nest she ws born at back in 1996 about 100 to 150 miles from this spot. Her mate was also a 1996 born bird but in a nest on the Delaware River in N.Y. and was one of 3. I culd not do this female justice doing what she was doing with a photo. As I did a lot of watching in my scope and your right she used both her talons on the one foot and the power of her wings flapping and pulling. It was an unbelievable sight to watch.
    Thanks for looking.
    Lou

18. O good Phil and I am glad I put the warning on the post. Maybe the next one will be naked:biggrin::biggrin:
    Lou

19. Lou, you did post these on december 27 of 06, just go under your history.https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=98690&highlight=buscher

I thought it was a great story, sad but that's nature, but on the same note, I could certainly be happy if I would never see them again.........my chocolate lab is actually quite upset at the moment and my yellow has this weird look on his face, like "lets go ice skating", but I might read too much into it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  20. Thanks for this info Sascha, I had not realized I posted these here as I post on a few other webs also. Sorry about your Labs and if it will make you feel any better one of the DEP Police is a friend and also owns two of these labs and when he saw these photos he could not believe it. I am not a dog person like for a pet but have owned hunting hounds (never mistreated) in my younger days but isn't the Lab a dog used for duck and goose hunting and in general a lover of the water in all kinds of weather. I would supect this can happen many times and no one ever knows about it. I am sorry if you were offended and that I posted them twice. Please forgive me for this as it was an accident
    Lou

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017