The Hummers are back!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by andreasb, Apr 4, 2007.

1. So I have been waiting all winter for spring and the Hummers to come back and last Thursday I heard one and then on Friday I saw one at the feeder, so I happily collected all my flashes with small tripods and big lenses and went out to my blind yesterday and today, and got me some hummers!

original.

(yes it is a Mosquito on the head of the bird!)
    original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Wonderful!!! The detail is amazing (as always). Looks like they posed for you!! I am hoping to attract a few this year with various nectar plants; fuschias, and humming bird vine are on my shopping list!! :biggrin:

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    such nice shots, I just don't know where you go from here! There's no where but downhill. :)

4. Wow very impressive Andreas! What's your setup?

Anthony

5. Gorgeous shots Andréas! You must be happy to get back to one of your favorite activities, you are masterful with these tiny birds (as you are with the bigger ones also!).

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow
    Amazing
    How in the world can folks pictures of something so tiny

7. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Stunning!!!!!!

8. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    superb captures incredible colors

9. WOW what great shots Andreas. Spring is just around the corner. Some day you will have to give me a lesson in shooting these guys.

10. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    These are wonderful. Congrats on having them back!

11. Andreas these are all fantastic shots. Just when I thought I had a favorite I scrolled down a bit further. The last shot does it for me. You got excellent focus and exposure on these shots, very nicely done.

Louie

12. Blue

Blue Guest

Wonderful captures ! Hummings along with dragonflies are 2 of my favorite birds and insects. For a newbie like me who 's trying to learn slr (I'm currently reading "Understanding exposure"), it's very interesting to see you keep changing shutter speed to capture the wing motion, thank you :biggrin:

13. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Those are incredible shots! I can't believe the detail in the one that has the mosquito on his head! Remarkable

14. Great series, Andreas! Thanks for showing.

15. Thank you! Actually the shutter speed is lower for some because the light died down in the evening, and because I changed lens or took of the tc off the 400mm, so didnt need to be at such high speed. I recommend on a wimberly head you try with at least 1/200th and F7.1 with a straight 300mm F4 to get enough DOF if you can do more that is great. With the 400mm also F7.1 ideally more, with the TC17 on the 400 for 680mm I say you need 1/250th and F11.

BUT! It is the Flash that freeses the motion of the wings. The Flash has a extremely short duration and what you do is place the flash very close, as wide an angle as it will go and put it in manual 1/8th or lower power, that will give you the short duration you need to freeze the wings.

So generally I have both flashes on manual, the rear one as close as I can to the background at say 1/4 power so it recycles quickly, and the front one at 1/16th if I can, all controlled by an SU-800 unit on the camera.

If you want to know from a master read Keith Rankins, sticky on how to shoot hummingbirds at the top of the bird and animal in this forum.

16. Outstanding, Absolutely Stunning shots

17. spruce

spruce Guest

those are amazing !!

18. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Andreas, how exciting that your hummers are back! That sure was a quick and smooth transition from last year, no rust at all! Just the beautiful work you've been doing all along ... I guess for you, it's similar to riding bicycles, once you learn, you don't forget?!

Simply breathtaking shots one and all, but my favorites are your last 3, which I presume you've named the "Chocolate Set." (You do give your sets high fallutin' names, don't ya? :biggrin: ) Those, I found especially elegant; very classy tonal range.

19. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    A mosquito on a hummer's head? Outrageous! As has already been stated these are as good as it gets!

20. Ohh thank you, well I have to try to best it then, I have some ideas :wink:
    Thank you for looking and commenting
    Chocolate set it is! I had one set last year that was a nice puerple for the heather, that was supposed to be the color these where of I was quite surprsed when I saw the brown! As for not forgetting the first night series was a bit off in every way these are better but not perfect, just wait!
    Thank you! I wonder how the Mosquito managed to stay there when the hummer was flying!!!