Critique The ideal beverage for these crazy times

Setup
The background is gold semi-glossy presentation material lit from below by a small continuous-light lamp. The tabletop is the underside of a baking sheet.

Capture #1: It was for the background, bottle tops and the areas of the bottles above and below the labels. Capture #2: The labels and tabletop were lit by another small lamp. Those areas were moved from Capture #2 to Capture #1. Parts of the tabletop from Capture #2 were erased after being moved to reveal the warm reflections in Capture #1.

Preparing the bottles
Surfboard wax intended for use in cold water was spread over the bottles to give them the frosted look. Water mixed with a little Karo syrup was sprayed onto the bottles. (The Karo syrup retains the formations of the water droplets longer than 100% water.) The fake ice was created by mixing water with Ice Powder, a product made for this purpose. The drip on the right side of the large bottle is Aqua Gel, which retains the look a long time.

Edit: Miriam suggested brightening the labels a bit mostly by lifting the shadow tones. I decided to brighten all of the tones in them except the very brightest and the very darkest tones. That led to brightening a lot of the ice on the tabletop. The revised version inspired by her suggestion is added to this post. Thanks to Miriam, as I prefer the revised version!

Original Version
Mike 2020-04-29--004-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Revised Version
Mike 2020-04-29--004B-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Beautiful job, Mike! The drip is the perfect touch. And the warm tones make this a very appealing photo.Here's a suggestion: I think it would add to the picture if the labels were a little brighter. It wouldn't have to be much, just a shadow correction in Photoshop applied only to the labels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I even like the tilt!
Thanks, Karen! Every once in awhile I feel like I need to post a photo that even Binnur won't tell me is crooked. She has the best eagle eye of all eagle eyes, so I'm pleased to present this tilted photo to her.

Seriously, I felt the craziness we're all living through had to be reflected at least to a small extent in the photo, and my nod to that craziness is the tilt. If I'm overthinking it, so be it.

They look ice-cold and ready to clink and drink.
Thanks, but you wouldn't like it unless you're German; it's at room temperature. I hope the yard work went well.

You should send it too Corona.
Maybe I should instead send it to all the medical teams trying to come up with treatments and vaccines.

or sue him!
Go to your room! :ROFLMAO:

Looks like they just came out of shaved ice.
The fake ice is amazing. It has been about seven hours since I released the shutter and it still looks exactly the same. (Clearly, I need to clean up my makeshift studio.)

This is amazing, Mike!
Thanks, Connie! I should make a photo of your favorite beer. Is it still Stella Artois?

I think it would add to the picture if the labels were a little brighter. It wouldn't have to be much, just a shadow correction in Photoshop applied only to the labels.
Check out the first post now that I've added a revised photo inspired by your suggestion. Thanks so much for making it!

Last edited:
I love the angle and colors. I think I prefer the first version. If anything the writing on the bottom of the label could be lightened a bit, but the brightened version feels a hair less dynamic. Still, both are super shots!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom