The Image That Won No Money

I enter 4 or 5 photo contests each Spring. It's just for fun, and any money won goes to my camera fund. I decided this time to donate any prize money from my first contest...if any...to SQ Rescue, Inc., Columbia, South Carolina, a non-profit 501 (c) (3), “no-kill” animal rescue group (primarily dogs) that has been rescuing dogs for over 20 years. Randy rescued Chrissie and Lady Bug from that organization. Well, I didn't exactly finish in the money this time, but since first prize would have been $200.00 I decided to get into my wallet and donate that amount to SQ. This is the photo that I entered. At least it got an "Honorable Mention" from the Orange County, Florida Audubon group. (And a cool red ribbon!)
spoonbillstick.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Great image.
I hate these types of contests. It is all up to the judge, and that is just an opinion.
I have seen a piece that was not even selected to hang in a show, win the same show the following year- different judge with different (better?) tastes.
Show your work to 30 people, and you will get 30 different opinions. And they are all right.
I have learned if I don't want to be criticized, don't show your work. But what fun is that?
Sometimes we are the statue, and sometimes we are the pigeons.
Thanks for the donation, a lot of our local non profits were really financially damaged over the last year and can use all the help they can get.
gary

Great image.
I hate these types of contests. It is all up to the judge, and that is just an opinion.
I have seen a piece that was not even selected to hang in a show, win the same show the following year- different judge with different (better?) tastes.
Show your work to 30 people, and you will get 30 different opinions. And they are all right.
I have learned if I don't want to be criticized, don't show your work. But what fun is that?
Sometimes we are the statue, and sometimes we are the pigeons.
Thanks for the donation, a lot of our local non profits were really financially damaged over the last year and can use all the help they can get.
gary
Thanks Gary. I've entered lots of photo contests and took none of them seriously. You're right about the 30/30, that how it's always been so I just do it for fun. The rescue Randy dealt with has great reviews and does very good things...happy to support them.

Sweet image Bobby but an even greater gesture. Like to believe that Randy is smiling down on you, your def one of the good guys.

Latest threads

Top Bottom