The Invisible Camera

I don't understand ISO 0.002 being impressive, and it seems too early, but maybe the punch line comes in a week, on April 1st.

This one seems too absurd... 1/500 ISO, pinhole camera, film not sensitive to light, etc. Only thing innovative is that it was put out 1o or 12 days too early.

There have been a few good ones over the years however. The one that got me best was about 1970, a leading electronics magazine announced a new "write only memory" chip with incredible speed properties. We had read only memory then (ROM, and PROM in similar degree, which we used at the time), but this seemed something new, write only memory now. Never had that before.

I was green, and it was in a leading magazine, and I was not alone with it, but it took us a day or so to realize that write only memory was simply a bit bucket, a waste basket. Data could not be retrieved. :smile: Maybe you had to be there, but it taught me about the April 1st concept. It is the one I remember.

Is there a reason you think that this is a joke? Just wondering...
I just don't see why Chris Marquardt, a very established photographer and workshop instructor, and the Max Planck Institute, a respected research institute, would host a hoax. Most of the world doesn't observe April 1 as a day of pranking, just the USA, so I don't see this as a reason, either.
I actually signed up for the field test!

I just don't see why Chris Marquardt, a very established photographer and workshop instructor, and the Max Planck Institute, a respected research institute, would host a hoax. Most of the world doesn't observe April 1 as a day of pranking, just the USA, so I don't see this as a reason, either.

Because it just reeks of April fools' that's why, and it's not something new. They could even cite Albert Einstein for all I care and it would still have April fools' written all over it. In fact last year Jeff Ascough did a similar gag pretending he was testing a new digital AF (April Fools' :wink:) rangefinder but was under NDA and couldn't say more. He even started his joke back on March the 19th 2010 … :tongue:

Oh and most of the Western world celebrates April fools', not just the USA by the way. :wink:

I have no idea of his reason why, but yes, it's a joke.

A pin hole camera?

1/100,000 second with a pin hole camera? Pin holes have to be about f/100 to focus a fuzzy image without a lens, which makes them incredibly slow, minutes, sometimes hours, maybe more in some cases. ISO 0.002 cannot help.

ISO 0.002 at 1/100,000 second ?

The ambient light somehow amplifies the focused image, instead of fogging the film? With absolutely no equipment but a clear box and a pin hole?

Notice how that light meter was held up to the camera? As shown, it meters from the top end, and this position simply showed the back of the "lens" the dial of what the ceiling metered. He knows that of course.

Illuminating Jacques Cousteau at 8000 meters? 26000 feet? That should have made news, and I dont know if Jacques goes that deep, but it is generally said that there is zero light below 1000 meters. Some say 200 meters. They take lights with them.

Don't hold your breath for it. :smile:

Pin Hole or Pin Head?

I'm guessing the "field testers" are going to be asked for payment of some kind to participate. And just because Chris Marquardt is involved doesn't really mean that much. Evil knievel and Chuck Norris were (intentionally or unintentionally) involved in a scam many years ago involving a spark generating device (for starting barbeque's) that claimed to help people with their arthritis. And very recently several well known professional athletes fell for a scam device that supposedly helped them improve their performance and balance. They endorsed it and it was later proven to provide no benefit whatsoever.

As if there needed to be any verification! Anyway, it is interesting that something clearly impossible gets some people to say, wait a minute, how do you know it is not real. And on the other hand, some things that are not disputable, get some people to say it is all a conspiracy. One of my coworkers showed me a Wikipedia page about the "flat earth society" or something along those names. I had to look around to convince myself it wasn't actually just a joke.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom