1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Keys to the Galata Tower

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Dayo, Dec 7, 2018.

1. While visiting the Galata Tower on a stopover in Istanbul, I saw this little section off to one side. The rows of keys seemed very apt for a tower.

Nikon D200 @ ISO 1,000
    Sigma 10-20mm @ 11mm
    1/125 @ f4.2
    ON1 PhotoRAW
    AB-3-FK_ON1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Interesting thing was that I had just finished reading a huge tome on the history of Venice and the tower had featured a bit in there as it had been built by Venice's great rival, Genoa.

These two great Italian trading empires, along with Pisa to a lesser extent, all of which really can only be compared to multinational corporations of today, had come to dominate and basically control the once mighty Byzantine Empire as it went through a painfully slow, centuries long period of terminal decline.

I can imagine the Genoese must have had cannon able to sink ships pointing out of these windows overlooking the Bosporus. Essentially having a decisive say on who could trade with Constantinople.

Unthinkable at the height of the Byzantine Empire but reminiscent of the way large corporations often hold many outwardly powerful states in thrall today.

Also interesting is how history has chosen to treat Byzantium as if it was a small short lived inconsequential empire. The only thing most know of it today is that it fell to the Ottomans.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Beautiful composition and processing, Dayo!

3. Fabulous work Dayo, and thanks so much for the history.

4. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Excellent, Dayo!

5. Great image Dayo, very nice composition and processing.

6. Great image...so many keys is rows. What was their purpose? Significance?

7. I suppose it has many rooms in it. Basically a miniature castle as many towers were.

8. Such an enjoyable image, Dayo! If I ever return to Istanbul, I'll make a point of seeking out that tower.

9. Thanks Mike,

You can't miss it. It is set on a hill overlooking the straits and still dominates the skyline.

D200 @ ISO 100
    AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 18-200mm @ 170mm
    1/350 @ f6.3
    AB-3-DR_ON1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Great scene, Dayo!
    Really fine b&w processing as well.

11. Dudley5854

Dudley5854

Nov 1, 2018
    Very nice Dayo and like others in here enjoy the history.

12. M.J.

M.J.

Friday
    Thailand
    Michael J.
    B/W is an excellent choice for those photos

13. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.