The kids on a black background...

These are done with a 24*36 softbox and a pringles can with an sb26 as hair light (yep, i do them on the cheap):

3....and this is what happens to the photographer if he keeps the subject posing for too long:

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments. The background is black muslin hanging on a copper pipe 10 feet wide. I use my background stand for a white backdrop which i always keep setup in the basement. The subjects are a good 10 feet in front of the background.

2x3 softbox is basically inches outside the frame as you can see from the size of the catchlights. I used a pringles chip can which is lined with black construction paper as a hair light; an sb26 fits nicely inside and the pringles can makes a great snoot.

I didn't use a reflector on either of these because i wanted some darktones blending into the background (i think it was Joe Mcnally who said if you want a portrait to be interesting don't light all of it).

Kids make great subjects because they have great skin. In my case they have their mom's eyes, lucky for them.

I almost always use my nikon 80-200 2.8 for portraits or my 90mm tammy but in this case I used a 70-300 vr lens at about 100mm.

Thanks for your comments.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom