The kids on a black background...

These are done with a 24*36 softbox and a pringles can with an sb26 as hair light (yep, i do them on the cheap):

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3....and this is what happens to the photographer if he keeps the subject posing for too long:

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments. The background is black muslin hanging on a copper pipe 10 feet wide. I use my background stand for a white backdrop which i always keep setup in the basement. The subjects are a good 10 feet in front of the background.

2x3 softbox is basically inches outside the frame as you can see from the size of the catchlights. I used a pringles chip can which is lined with black construction paper as a hair light; an sb26 fits nicely inside and the pringles can makes a great snoot.

I didn't use a reflector on either of these because i wanted some darktones blending into the background (i think it was Joe Mcnally who said if you want a portrait to be interesting don't light all of it).

Kids make great subjects because they have great skin. In my case they have their mom's eyes, lucky for them.

I almost always use my nikon 80-200 2.8 for portraits or my 90mm tammy but in this case I used a 70-300 vr lens at about 100mm.

Thanks for your comments.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom