The King & his Harem

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Yesterday morning, I was so close to this big Tom in the one photo I could have petted his head but deiced against it. I used a 35MM lens on him and still he would not fit in. My God he is big. I have now counted 7 Toms in the group that visit me and the rest are Jakes or hens.

1 the king and his harem
    439700846_c80b4b8859_o.

2The king
    View attachment 87632

3 The king fitted in the frame
    View attachment 87633

2. 4 the kings weather vane. One of the harem on my garage roof and I did a little messing with the BG in PSCS as I ws shooting right into the morning light. Just a little fooling around.:smile:
    439700864_42bb314b4a_o.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice:>)))
    Guess he IS King:>))
    Like your weather vane to

4. Thanks Gale I guess I'll have to give them a break as I never expected to draw in so many Toms by keeping the young group at my yard by feeding all winter.
    Lou

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Will they stay there all the time now. Or go off and forage for themselves being spring and good weather is coming.
    I can imagine all the noise.
    What do you feed them

6. Gale

I fed the young hens and jakes so I would get a Tom to come in this spring, as this is the time for them to show off their stuff. Very soon the spring hunting season will open and they will head for the hills. There are a lot more Toms here than I ever dreamed of. In the summer it is best to stop feeding all birds anyway as the amount of food they get from a feeder is nil. (Please see link below and click on featured articles) Scroll to O no there’s a hawk at my feeder. Lot of good reading on this site, you’ll enjoy it I hope this explains why I fed them.
    http://www.dvrconline.org/
    Lou