The kiss-Kensington 2008

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by rbsinto, Sep 17, 2008.

1. This is a shot I made during one of the Kensington Market Pedestrian Sundays in August.
    I was walking down the street when I spotted two women walking hand-in-hand, enjoying the beautiful sunny day, and each other.
    As I passed them, they stopped and one woman slowly took her lovers face in her hands, and began to kiss her. I watched transfixed as they embraced, and continued to kiss passionately, oblivious to everyone around them.
    motorized Nikon F with DE-1 meterless eyelevel prism
    Nikkor 180 2.8 ED AIS manual focus
    Fuji Sensia II 100 ISO colour slide
    exposure 5.6 @ 1/1000th
    The_kiss-Kensington-600.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2008
  2. I know. I tried to post this in the morning from my office, but the photo kept showing up as a box with a red X. I'm going to try again and see what happens.

3. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    Unfortunately it worked for me

4. Jadlh,
    Unfortunate? In what way?

5. Tell us more about this 'film' that you speak of...LOL. Nice picture.

Michael

6. jecaph

jecaph Guest

I've seen much better. Waste of my time.

7. Jecaph,
    You've seen much better what?
    Kisses? Shoulderbags? Women? Lesbians? Photographs?
    I don't know about anyone else, but I always hope that I'll get comments or criticisms that are in some way constructive.
    Some people have told me they like my pictures, and others have said they don't, but you're the first to complain that their time was wasted because they bothered to look. That's a new one on me!

8. brinnswf

brinnswf

Feb 7, 2008
    St. Louis
    Great capture, you don't see that too often just walking down the street.

9. Brian,
    It all depends on where you live and what the prevailing attitudes are. Here in Toronto we have the third largest Gay population in the world after San Francisco and a city in Germany, and our attitudes about Homosexuals seem to be quite different and vastly more tolerant than those of many Americans. Scenes like this are not rare here, and frankly it's no big deal. Live and let live.

10. I guess I am from the wrong generation, but I don't care for this. People are certainly free to do what they want.

11. Hi everyone. Just a reminder to all sides in this discussion; discussion of photo's submitted at the Cafe is limited to the creative or artistic nature of the photo.

I quote our owner's recent note from the rules.

..and a quote from an earlier policy post in the same thread

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation,

Rich

12. Rich,
    Did I say something wrong? I just expressed my opinion of the picture presented. I did agree that people are certainly free to express themselves in any way that they see fit.

13. Not at all. I addressed it to everyone. Actually, not in ANY way they see fit. The quotes are pretty specific about topics which can be anticipated to be moderated.

Thanks, Rich

14. Ed,
    You are of course, free to state your opinions, but frankly, I believe your comment has nothing to do with either the aesthetics or technical aspects of my shot. Rather, I think you are making a comment on the lifestyle of the persons in the photograph, which is a completely different issue, and as I understand, outside the scope of what this forum is supposed to be about.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  15. Great picture.Taken at the right moment.Message is crystal clear..They are in LOVE!!
    Nothing wrong with that i hope?

16. To complain that time was wasted by simply looking at the photo is very rude. If they felt that way, why waste even more time by typing in replies?

17. Folks, it's the image that is under discussion, not poster's or viewer's motivations. We can't know others' minds so lets refrain from speculation...and indirect insinuations about social mores. The alternative is to close the thread.

Thanks, for your understanding and cooperation.

Rich

18. Being a photographer who enjoys taking candids, I think this is a great capture of a very intimate moment between two people who love each other!!! Kudos!!

19. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Kensington's a nice place to shoot. You should try to make it down here more often!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.