The Knot

I had more than a few vexing images today of this knot. Something about the position in the frame as my daughter crossed the wake made my AF briefly lock on. They can't all be keepers.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The rope is a fixed length, perfect for one manual focus.
Don, I've thought that, and it does work when they are young and stay right behind the boat.

However, as the skier learns to aggressively cut accross the wakes, the distance to my lens can vary 4-5 feet. Most of the variance is related to where I sit on the port side of the boat. The skier can often be considerable closer when cutting to port. When you factor in that I like to shoot with fast glass often close to wide open, I need to track the focus on the skier with a very shallow DOF. Manual focus doesn't cut it unless you want soft images.

Don't you hate it when this happens. It is knot in focus.
It has been a couple of years since I shot with the d500, but isn't there a tracking lock on setting in focus? You can adjust it so the camera does not refocus when your subject is quickly obscured by something else. We used it a lot in bif, keeps the camera from locking onto branches, etc when the bird flies behind a branch- stays locked on the bird. Might be worth a try.
gary

I have a Connelly slalom ski also. Havent waterskied in years though (friend sold his ski boat). Plus I cant get into my barefoot suit anymore:(. Dont know how many times I've tumbled trying to barefoot.:LOL:

Don't you hate it when this happens. It is knot in focus.
It has been a couple of years since I shot with the d500, but isn't there a tracking lock on setting in focus? You can adjust it so the camera does not refocus when your subject is quickly obscured by something else. We used it a lot in bif, keeps the camera from locking onto branches, etc when the bird flies behind a branch- stays locked on the bird. Might be worth a try.
gary
Yes, I think this is the "Blocked shot AF response". Mine is set to 3 (medium). Truthfully, this doesn't happen too often, but there was something odd about the lighting and that section of the rope yesterday that seemed to attract my AF.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom