The Last Hooray!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    It's been over 6 years since I shot my last wedding. They're a young persons game and I'm not in that category anymore. But, a nephew asked me to do his so I agreed. It will be the last. Frankly, I'm still not comfortable doing them with a digital camera, especially one as 'old' as the D100.. :) His fiancee came by last night and I took two or three, as much to do some in a controled setting (wedding day is not very controled!), and to get her used to me and to see how the camera would do. This is one of them..
    The first one or two I did was with broad lighting and I saw that was a mistake with her so I switched to short light and I like it better.
    I thank you for looking and feel free to critique if you like!
    Jarrell
    P.S. Short lighting, for anyone interested, is when the main light is mainly on the 'shortest' side of the face (with the nose as the dividing line) fartherest from the camera. It's the style of light usually used on a person with a broad or wider face than average.

2. WOW, Jarrell!! That is a wonderful picture!! Very nice!! :) :) :) :)

3. Carol Steele

Carol Steele Guest

Beautiful lighting Jerrell

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jarrell,

I know that you must feel some pressure, but you will do fine.

Break a leg.... :wink:

Frank

5. NANCY

NANCY

Mar 14, 2005
    FLORIDA
    Thanks for sharing your picture. You did a great shop capturing the serene beauty of the bride. I am sure your nephew is going to love the pictures, one, because they will be great, and two, because they are being taken with love.

Also, thank you explaining the lighting. My goal is to learn one new thing each day and you made it possible for me to reach that goal early today. Thanks.

6. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thank you for the replies. Pressure.... you know, I thought I would feel a LOT of pressure but strangely enough I don't..... yet. Most of the pressure you feel from weddings, at least for me, was the fear of equipment failure, so you carry two of everything. I don't have two dslr bodies so I have my fingers crossed. The reat of the pressure comes from having to do the best you can within a set time frame with no chance for a reshoot.
    I really think it's a young photographers game...
    Jarrell

7. Carol Steele

Carol Steele Guest

I'm not so sure about that Jarrell, I'm 60 and I still love doing weddings. The most pressure I feel is the weight of the camera bag on my shoulder :roll:

8. Jarrell that is such a beautiful image of the bride, I'm certain she will be thrilled. I fully understand what you mean about shooting weddings, as I have my granddaughters in May and I'm already feeling anxiety. Good luck with yours.

9. Wow Jarell! That's quite a standard you set. And what a beautiful bride!

BTW - I had forgotten that you were the guy with that sig I love to cite so often, because it could've been me who stated that :D .

Cheers

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    My, oh my, oh my!

This really is top notch! Perfect amt of contrast, and so clear! Beautiful pose you captured too. Bravo sir!

11. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Like everyone else, I guess some photographers are more laid back than others.. :)
    Come to think of it, I remember when I shot my first wedding, I had this death grip on the camera that was only loosened by the huge amount of sweat on the palms of my hands. But, after the first frame or two was taken it all went away and I settled right into doing the job. Seems like that happened with most of them, just a bit less each time.
    I appreciate the kind responses!
    Jarrell

12. Right. So when Whitney asks you to be her wedding photographer 5 years from now, you're gonna turn her down?

Hey, you're nephew is marrying well. If you're lucky, you may get paid in hugs and kisses. :p.

13. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Uncle Frank, I'm going to disown her and cut her out of my will... uh... err uh.. what with the price of this photography obsession there's not going to be anything to pass on.. :) In any event, I hope marriage at 18 is the last thing she has on her mind! For those that don't know (and how could you!) Whitney is my middle grandchild..
    Jarrell

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi there Mr. Jarrell

Beautiful photography for sure as usual. You are the best.

If you feel you would like a back up body or lens , let me know and I will send you mine.

I have no problem doing that and they are fully insured and all risk besides.
    Cheers
    Gale

15. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Hello there Gale,
    I appreciate that but I think I have it under control. I'll take a medium format camera along, gee.... I wonder if I still know how to use one of those. I think they work pretty much like digitals just not nearly as much fun.
    Thanks anyway!
    Jarrell

16. Henry Goh

Henry Goh

Mar 17, 2005
    Singapore
    Dear Jarrell,

If I ever have the good fortune to marry a second, third and maybe fourth wife, I want you to be my wedding photographer! But then, my one and only wife is like your trusty D100 and I really have no reason or desire to even dream of marrying again. Therein lies my problem....

I would love to have you do my portrait but I would have to marry again just to ask you to photograph me. What a headache I have.

And did I say how beautifully you have captured those young ladies? You have, as usual.

Thank you for putting this smile on my face Jarrell.

Henry Goh