Critique The Lighthouse <simplified>

Earlier this week, I visited the Michigan City Lighthouse (in Indiana). My aim for this particular frame was to greatly simplify the image.

To accomplish this, I used a telephoto lens to minimize what is included in the picture. I selected a very long exposure time to smooth the movement of the clouds and the water. This was accomplished by attaching a 10 stop neutral density filter to the lens. And, I tried to minimize the amount of color variation in the frame while post processing it.

One thing I learned during this exercise is that it is exceedingly challenging to achieve sharp images with such long exposure times with a telephoto lens. Chances are high that longer focal length of the lens will enhance any small amount of camera shake due to the wind. Although I tried my best to block the wind from hitting my camera/lens, most of the long exposures with the telephoto lens (particularly the ones at 200mm) weren't sharp enough to my liking and ended up in the recycle bin!

2021-01-13 mich city-24wc.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks again for looking...
Glenn

Last edited:
The image has a nice, dreamy feel to it. Excellent image well worth the effort!
Thanks Karen...it was a lot of fun just getting out there for some photography. I enjoyed playing with the ND filters. If not for the filters, the scene was pretty dull. Completely overcast and gloomy. It amazes me how long exposures can sometimes enable to camera to see things that I can't see with my eyes. When I was there at the time, the sky appeared to have very little color and the sky looked nearly flat (no texture whatsoever).

Glenn

Another austere scene with gorgeous colors. Your use of the neutral density filter on the clouds created a far less extreme look than I am used to seeing. Now you've got me wondering if I shouldn't use one for clouds as well even though in the past I had never been excited about that possibility.

the long exposures with the telephoto lens (particularly the ones at 200mm) weren't sharp enough to my liking and ended up in the recycle bin!
Restore those images from the recycle bin and try using Topaz Sharpen AI on them. It just might do the trick.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
And when I saw your image, first thought was, “how did he manage the wind?“ Thank you for answering question because I know that along the shore, the winds in Michigan City as well as in Saint Joseph can be fierce. Despite your challenges, you’ve delivered an outstanding image. I really like it a lot. Well done!

I just wonder what it might look like with a uniform sky. Probably of the blue rather than white variety.

I love the image anyway.

superb soft colors
Thanks Randy...the overcast conditions helped to really soften everything.
Fantastic work Glenn, your efforts sure paid off on this image. This should be a poster for some ad.
Thank you, Louis
Nice Glenn, that roof really pops against the blue in the sky and that emerald green of the water. Could see this as an arts poster.
Thanks John
Another austere scene with gorgeous colors. Your use of the neutral density filter on the clouds created a far less extreme look than I am used to seeing. Now you've got me wondering if I shouldn't use one for clouds as well even though in the past I had never been excited about that possibility.

Restore those images from the recycle bin and try using Topaz Sharpen AI on them. It just might do the trick.
Thanks Mike...the long exposures affect the clouds differently based upon the focal length of the lens and how quickly the clouds are moving. It's always trial and error for me. Problem is that sometimes I only get a few tries with 3 minute exposures as the light fades!

I very much appreciate your suggestion about using Topaz Sharpen AI...especially since I now own it after purchasing the bundle of software during the holidays. I still have the images on the memory card, so I can give it a try.
And when I saw your image, first thought was, “how did he manage the wind?“ Thank you for answering question because I know that along the shore, the winds in Michigan City as well as in Saint Joseph can be fierce. Despite your challenges, you’ve delivered an outstanding image. I really like it a lot. Well done!
Thanks Lyndee...long exposures make it more challenging to manage the wind. For regular shots, I do what I can to achieve a higher shutter speed and frame rate...including boosting the ISO.
I just wonder what it might look like with a uniform sky. Probably of the blue rather than white variety.

I love the image anyway.
Thanks Ron...to my eye, the sky looked uniform. It was the long exposure that brought more texture and color into the sky.
Another very nice image Glen.
Thanks Mike
You achieved your goal beautifully!
Thank you, Terri
I really like this Glenn. Nice clean, well composed and executed image. Well done.
Thanks Dan...much appreciated

Glenn

I imported those photos again from the memory card and ran the files through Topaz Sharpen AI. This was the first time that I tried the software. The tool was remarkable. To my eye, it removed the camera shake!

Although Topaz Sharpen definitely did the trick, I didn't like the images nearly as much as the one I posted here--through no fault of the software. In any event, this is a useful weapon in my arsenal!

Thanks again, Mike.

Glenn

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom