1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Little Church In Texas - UPDATE FOUND LINK ON CHURCH

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Seneca, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Last week on the way to the Lake in Austin my husband and I decided to take the scenic route since we were not in any hurry. The drive was just beautiful...so many big beautiful trees. On the left side of the road we past a little church and I said to husband..."What the heck was that?"...I knew it was a church...but it was right in the middle of no where. I told him to turn around...of coure his response was "WHY?", and I said "Because I want to see that church!!!" So he turned the car around...hesitating.

I think he was glad he turned around...it was really nice.

1. As I walked up to the church I wondered if it was open...
    CHURCHcopy.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Only a little hanger type latch was on the door.
    DOORcopy.jpg

3. It was hot in there...but you got a sense of calm. The room was no bigger than a small living room
    INSIDECHURCHcopy.jpg

4. Walking in it was so small...look at the size of the benches
    BENCHES2.jpg

5. By the window there was a spiral notebook for a sign in
    BOOK_SIGNINGcopy.jpg

6. To the left of this picture you can see a another spiral notebook...in that book people wrote down their problems, sickness and other things that they were dealing with.
    PICTURESINCHURCHcopy.jpg

7. A little picture frame that reads Thank you.
    THANKYOUcopy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008
  2. Jackoc

Jackoc Guest

Love that little church, my wife and I will have to try and find it sometime. Have you visited any of the Painted churches of Texas, not to far from you and a nice little weekend trip. ref. (klru.org/paintedchurches) nice photo opps also.

3. what a beautiful little church, Seneca
    great shots
    nice of you to bring it to us

thank you

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!

It's in Roundtop Texas

5. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Thanks Greg...it was really beautiful inside. I'm glad I made old grouchy stop! Hahaha.

6. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Nicely done....
    good detail, sharp....I felt like I was there.

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Thank you my dear friend...I was hoping you could feel those images. I know I could...:wink:

8. Awesome! I Love it.

9. That's awesome!

So there IS something small in Texas:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

10. Beautiful! Was there anything to tell about the History or age of the church? Dunno where that area is, but will have to add it to places to visit one of these days! I really like the way you told the story about the church and what you saw - it was almost like being there.

11. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    What a lovely series! And the place is lovely.

Here in Blighty most, if not all, churches have there doors securely bolted and locked when not in use.

12. Geej

Geej

Aug 11, 2005
    Northern Colorado
    What a beautiful find! I bet you were really surprised when the door opened and then especially what was inside. Lovely captures...I'm so glad your hubby turned around to go back.

13. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nice one, Sen. You came to Austin and didn't tell me!:frown::tongue:

14. Nice little church... nice series. Thanks for sharing... oh, and straighten out #3.

15. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Thank you Jeff

THanks.

Good comment...yes everything is big in Texas...but this church was tiny.

Well the church was surrounding by some old graves. One of the graves had a marker barely visible...1799. Other than that I didn't see anything.

Thanks for the nice comment.

Well this was in the country...so I suspect there is more trusting type people there. I assume. But you know what they say about assume...it makes an A$$ U ME (Makes an *** of U & ME:biggrin:

Before I opened it I must admit that I was a bit frighten...didn't know what I was going to see. You just never know.

OHHHH MY GOSH...I'm schorry. I'm going next month again.

Man I didn't think anyone would notice...but you have that keen photographers eye!

16. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Looks like the picture on the wall was changed out.

17. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Here is some information I found on the web.

Warrenton, Texas - World's Smallest Catholic Church
    There is more to the story of this tiny church! The painting reproduction hanging behind the altar, depicting St. Martin of Tours, takes the place of the original painting which hung there until 2002. In that year, the painting was rediscovered as the work of Johann Ignaz Berger, a prolific Czech ecclesiastical painter of the 19th century. The piece was one of a group of paintings brought by Czech immigrants in the late 1800s to hang in their new church in Fayetteville, St. John the Baptist. The paintings were stored and forgotten when the old church was torn down and rebuilt in the 1960s. All seven have been recovered, restored and re-framed and now hang once again in St. John the Baptist Catholic Church. The original frames are displayed in the back room of the Fayetteville Area Museum, on the central town square, which is in itself worth a visit

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/4555

18. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    A fantastic piece of photojournalism ! What an unexpected find :) 

19. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    It truly was...thanks for looking!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.