The little ones at Softball

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by GBRandy, Jul 2, 2007.

1. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    This session was with the little squirts again......they are such a stich

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 Out at 2nd base.....and an intimidating look to boot!
    [​IMG]

#5 This one was completely amazed at my lens / camera....I just liked her socks
    [​IMG]

#6 The orange uniforms were killing me...a slight de-saturation fixed some of it, but geez...
    [​IMG]

#7 This expression at a bat......
    [​IMG]

#8 ....turned into this expression on the base path
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#14 A throw to first as only a stylish 9 year old girl can do it....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whew...thanks for hanging around all the way to the end! That was a long post...... :smile:

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice shots Randy, it seems like you can't go wrong shooting the little ones. The facial expressions make shooting so worthwhile.

3. Bigmuddy

Bigmuddy

Feb 28, 2007
    Ohio
    Great shots Randy, looks like the little one in #7 was looking at you while swinging.:smile:

4. Awesome set. Sharp faces, great colors. It just doesn't get any better. I'm liking #5 just because of the Winnie the Pooh socks :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  5. Hey Randy,

Awesome set you have here. I must say that the eyes have done it for me. Great job getting so many clean clear shots of the eyes. I can never seem to get my focus to hit on the money as yours are especially when they wear the helmets with the cages. #'s 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, & 8, are dead on righteous. Great job!

6. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I'm with Ty on this one. The "eye"s have it. :smile: The way you captured the eyes and expressions, really make the shots, IMHO.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    What a hoot
    Super shots

8. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Well all of you caught the theme. I really tried to get the expressions these little ones make during the game. Tyrone & Jeff found my focal point as the eyes are what i was really trying to grab. Those darn helmets, which do not fit very well, makes this a bit harder. The focal point likes to grab the front of the cage and the lighting underneath these makes for tough shadows.

Thankfully, it appears I made some headway however...thanks to all for the nice comments and observations....

9. These little girls are by far the most fun to shoot there expressions great job again Randy

10. jjohnsey

jjohnsey

Apr 6, 2007
    Jasper, AL
    That was a fun series. Great captures and captions. Ya'll make me smile as much reading the captions as I do looking at the pics. Thanks.

11. Wow, that color clash in #8 hurts my eyes, #13 is my choice, nice work.

12. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Randy these are exceptional.. Great eyes !

13. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Those are great , got some pricless expressions.

14. Dietz

Dietz Guest

randy
    Do you ever get parents asking you not to take pictures of their girls? I ask only because of the constant stories of perverts and molesters in the news. I have heard that some parents are worried about pictures being taken. In one of the photo mags a couple of months ago there was an article about taking innocent pictures of your kids who were not fully dressed and how some fathers are being questioned by the police about them.

This was a great series showing kids having fun playing a game

15. great faces, very nice work, hard to believe it's a Canon (i can't stop, sorry)

16. bruheim

bruheim

Jul 1, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Randy, excellent work... care to share what lens/focal length/f-stop the majority of these were taken with?

17. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Sad question....but prudent here I guess....I have never had a complaint, but I am waiting for the day. I have a note pad and if someone asks, I'll write down the name / jersey number and not post I guess.

Here in the Midwest we are a bit more relaxed and trusting about things. Cautiously carefully, but not paranoid... I suspect if I shot at my sisters place in Westchester, NY I would have 1/2 dozen attorneys in my face....alas, her and her husband are attorneys as well so I'd have representation anyway. What a world when a camera is considered evil......weird.

Almost all of these are with a 300 f2.8 shot at f3.2 & f3.5...I adjust the ISO to try and keep these at 1/800 or better.

In retrospect I will be staying above 1/1000 from now on as I feel I have too much motion blur in the at bats (See number 6 as a good example of a need for higher SS). These little squirts can swing a bat.

18. RandyB

RandyB Guest

Great shots! Number 2 is my favorite with eyes locked on the ball.

19. Great shots Randy, I always get a chuckle when the kids are 'dressed up' like in #5 and #9 w/ the sleeves rolled up...looking like the big girls...

20. Wonderful series Randy. I like 2 & 9 the best. You're right, the little ones seem to wear their emtions on their faces.

Rich