The Little Store that Still Can...

1 Yes We're Open
5719677350_25a4e491dc_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 A local shopper
5719115837_bca60930e3_z.jpg

5719677174_031b9bf52b_z.jpg

4. Burglar Bars
5719677256_fd4baf9d23_z.jpg

5719677386_46f7d4039f_z.jpg

6. (Some produce)
5719677456_da648659ed_z.jpg

7. Hummmm Houston Oilers...?? Methinks on my next visit...I will bring him a Houston Texans Sign (since he's close to Dallas - lol)...I'm just saying...
5719677506_308cd4b566_z.jpg

There are times I like to just get away and shoot for fun; so a couple of weeks ago I traveled the back roads of Texas in search of something old, and well my wish was granted.

Traveling on a small 2 lane highway I came across “The little store that still could”…but “still could what” you ask? Well…sell to the locals. I met the owner of the store and asked if I could please take some pictures, he was totally ok with it.

The store was built in 1911…(what???? Shut the front door…that’s 100 years!!!)…yes the building has withstood many years of selling to the general public.

As I entered I was very surprised at how fresh it smelled inside… (if only those walls could talk…what would it tell me?). The store had two small narrow rows of food items, a small commercial refrigerator that sold cokes, beer, wine, milk & eggs.

The owner shared with me that in the next year, the store will go through some “Fix’inup”…that’s Texan talk for “remodeling”. I can't wait to go back next year and see the new digs.

I love doing the same thing well at least going out and hitting the backroads. When I had my '80 CJ-7 it was a far more regular thing. What town is that Seneca?

Go Oilers, Luv ya Blue and the House of Pain!

That is so cool! You were very lucky to find that place. Love the look and feel of these old places. You just can't get that feeling today. A great piece of Americana and a great series of pics.

I love doing the same thing well at least going out and hitting the backroads. When I had my '80 CJ-7 it was a far more regular thing. What town is that Seneca?

Go Oilers, Luv ya Blue and the House of Pain!

near Brenham..I think it's hwy 105.

"Look out football, here we come,
Houston Oilers, number one.
Houston has the Oilers, the greatest football team.
We take the ball from goal to goal like no one's ever seen.
We're in the air, we're on the ground ... always in control
And when you say the Oilers, you're talking Super Bowl.

'Cause we're the Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers, Number One.
Yes, we're the Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers, Number One.

We've got the offense.
We've got the defense.
We give the other team no hope. 'Cause we're the Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers,
You know we're gonna hold the rope."

Ok...now I'm really showing my age if I remember the whole freakin song.

That is so cool! You were very lucky to find that place. Love the look and feel of these old places. You just can't get that feeling today. A great piece of Americana and a great series of pics.

It really was cool seeing that...it was like going back in time.

I love old stores like that!!! Thanks for sharing Seneca!!!

You're welcome...my pleasure.

Very nice shots Seneca. I have a special attraction toward these old places and my style is to convert the shots to b&w and use a light sepia toning.
It has become customary for me to travel through Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee during during the fall to photograph the change of colors of the leaves. I take the backcountry route to find old houses, neglected old machinery, rural cemeteries and other signs of past times. At times I also find very interesting people to photograph. I used to do that with a medium format camera and b&w film.
I bet there are many places in Texas where you can still find these gems.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Don't get shops like that over here making yours very interesting indeed, thank you, oilers in the UK are waterproofed over trousers just a bit of useless info.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom