1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Little Surrealist, part two

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    [​IMG]
    (trix, HC110b, 7min 20°C, 5sec/30sec agitation, 35mm f/1.7 Ultron)

This is the companion shot to the other one of this set. So, considering this photo, is there anything to be gained by cropping the other? She's making eye contact in that photo, but you can see concentration on her work here.

Seeing this one as a positive now, I am think that I do not need to crop the other picture. Do you agree? Have I better isolated the subject here? Although I am the photographer, it is often the case that external critics can better interpret a photo, especially if the photographer is close to the subject.

So please, look at this photo, then at that photo. How you think they compare to each other. Which one better defines her and her artistic nature? (And tell me why!)

ps, Thank You!! One of these will be printed and sent with Olivia to her Grandparents next week.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. I prefer this one, Chris, because of the subtle motion blur of the artist's hand at work, and the small locks of hair in front of the eye; I can see the eyes just enough to see their focus and the subject is too engrossed in the task at hand to brush the hair aside. These two elements convey an active, focused artist to me.

Sean

3. I agree with Sean in answer to your question. That being said I think a diptych would make a sweet photo to send to the grandparents!

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I think y'all are right on the purely pictorial aspect of the photo. This one is stronger. You can see in her lap the Magritte painting she's lampooning.

And there will be a diptych, Olivia's brother Sam. Picking his is easy though, just look for the one where he's not making a goofy face!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.