The littlest photographer

Discussion in 'People' started by Beezle, Sep 18, 2005.

1. My first son, who will be four next month has been using pocket sized digicams for a few years now. And recently he got to the point where he is actually trying to make an image rather than just pointing and shooting.

Well, in as much as a three year old might. But still, I have been amazed at some of the images he comes up with.

Here is one of him with the toy he first played with.

[​IMG]

And here you can see a gallery of images he has taken in recent months. None were coached by me. My philosophy is to teach them to think for themselves as much as possible. Note that the one image of him alone was taken by someone else - but he asked them to do it so I figure it counts.

http://www.nvxd.com/bens-eye/index.htm

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Yes, he wasn't quite two the first time he held a small camera and fired the shutter. It took a year before he actually pointed them at anything.

And yes, he has taken many photos I wouldn't publish. :rolleyes: He has already done the "take a photo of daddy in the shower" trick. :biggrin:

It is frightening how much he learns just by watching me. For example he will sit at my computers and if Bridge is running he will open images in Photoshop to look at them. I have to keep this machine set up such that he can't readily do any serious damage.

I know most of what he comes up with is accidental at best, but that is part of the beauty of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2005
  4. This by the way is the reaction I get when I don't let him use a camera.

[​IMG]

(yes just a joke, he was actually unhappy about some Thomas the Tank Engine DVD or other)

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. He knows many of the more recent Thomas stories by heart. He has the original books as well, half of which I have read to him.

He is a train nut to say the least.

How many three year olds can set up and use N scale trains without breaking anything? The folks at the local train hobby shop can hardly believe it. The truth is I didn't know you aren't suppose to teach a three year old to handle such things. But we managed to pull it off.

And yet he still uses his wooden Thomas trains. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2005
  7. The boy is developing an eye. Glad to see he has upgraded. I enjoyed his gallery.

8. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Very, very cool! My daughter's been shooting since 1 also. Here's her galleries:
    www.pbase.com/ximina

9. Those are wonderful! I really enjoyed her photos.

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks... She's 3 years old and has already upgraded her digicam 5 times. She's now using a T1 - the surprising thing is that her old cameras can take such a beating and still keep on working. I recently gave one of her old cameras to a friend that didn't have a digicam and he couldn't be happier (well, it was free for him).

Her second digicam, a $99 wally world special (Kodak CX6200) was dropped, bangged and whacked countless times, yet it still takes perfect photos:
    [​IMG]

Amazing too how fast kids pick up - never showed my daughter anything either, and she learns to use each of her cameras on her own. Once I went to go see what she had taken, and was looking for the playback button, and she took over to show me how to use her camera!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2005
  11. They do learn quickly.

Ben seems to understand zoom, playback and even flash. But he doesn't quite know how to use the macro button, which causes quite a few blurry close ups. I heard him explaining the focusing aid lamp to my wife (red on the Sony, green on the Fuji) the other day. It was quite funny.

The camera he uses the most is a Sony P200. He will also use a Fuji F10 if the Sony isn't charged. I think he prefers to have the optical viewfinder, though.

He is quite good with his hands, and rarely breaks things. I give him gentle hints on the consequences of breaking things that are relatively expensive, but mostly I believe it is just his nature.

His younger brother is quite the opposite, which is fine too. As you can see from the gallery they have a lot of fun when he poses for his older brother.