The London Eye

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by simonramsden, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Well I bought a Slik Mini-Pro III tripod, sat it all on a wall and 55 seconds later...

Did a little noise reduction, sharpening and applied a frame.

2. A cliche subject, but you found a way to show it very differently. Very nice, Simon (BTW, did you use the 50 for this shot??).

3. Frits

Thanks, but I'm afraid no - the 50mm is in the bag at the moment. This was a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 at about 24mm. Needed the wide angle...

This is another one from my "wanderings" this evening. Trafalgar Square has a number of statues in the fountains...

4. WOW! Another real nice one. I was in London briefly this summer and visited the Square - very beautiful place indeed.

5. So what you're saying is you could have saved me the shipping on that lens....:biggrin:

6. Yeah maybe, but you would have missed a few months of fun with it. By looking at your beautiful macro shots you made with it earlier this year, you were better off this way..:biggrin: :biggrin:

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice.. Excellent actually. :>))

8. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Great Simon

Love the London Eye shot.

Out of interest Simon you did 55 seconds - what aperture and ISO please - want to try something like this myself.

Once again - great shot.

Best wishes

Ray

9. Gale, Ray

Thanks for the comments.

The set up was :-

D70 + 24-70 F/2.8 Sigma Lens (actual focal length was 32mm). Cokin P filter holder with ND4 filter (#153) all sat on a Slik Mini Pod III resting on the Embankment wall (keep a hold on the strap - don't want it to fall into the Thames !).

Manual mode with Auto Focus ON. ISO 200 F/32 and Bulb shutter. Using the remote first click to open shutter, second click to close after 55 seconds has elapsed. 55 seconds is the time it takes for each POD to move to the next position - ie the "pitch" of the PODs in seconds.

Hope this helps.

10. My wife and I enjoyed our trip on the London Eye last August, but all our shots were in daylight and very "tourist".

You have achieved a very different - and effective - take.

Nice one.

11. Simon, I just love this one.

12. Clive / Phil

Thanks for the comments. Knowing I was going to be in London for a week I set out to take much photographed places, in a different light. The London Eye has probably been seen like this before many times - just not by me !

Tonight, it's St Pauls Cathederal, the Millenium Bridge and possibly another stab at Tower Bridge.

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

14. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Simon,

I returned from London a week and a half ago. Also saw and shot the London eye - your's is truely wonderful. Mine, well, a mere snapshot at daytime.

So, thanks for sharing and keep up the nice work.

15. Heiko

Thanks - didn't want it to be a snapshot. Seen it many time before - work sends me to London fairly regularly for the odd day, this is my first stop over for a while.