The Long Hike at Fljotavik, Hornstrandir, Iceland

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by bobhoge, Jun 27, 2007.

1. We entered a little bay after sailing past Hornstrandir on our Iceland adventure. We anchored and went ashore. Nan & I took the long hike which would climb up to the cliff face.
    It did not look too hard from the shoreline:
    [​IMG]

Five minutes later we were getting up past the little vacation cabin:
    [​IMG]

Ten more minutes and we were in a lot of loose rock that make climbing more difficult:
    [​IMG]

Twenty more minutes and it is still uphill in the loose rocks:
    [​IMG]

And the ship is just a little dot in the bay:
    [​IMG]

Ten more minutes and it finally levels out, there is even a meltwater lake up here. The ship is no longer in sight.:
    [​IMG]

Another five minutes hiking and we are FINALLY at the cliff edge (50 minutes uphill, we are getting too old for this :rolleyes:):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fog is rolling in and it is time to head down while we can still see where we are going. You had to be more careful going down than up because of the loose rocks:
    [​IMG]

It took almost as long to get back down, 40 minutes.

Bob & Nan

2. jpappas

jpappas

Aug 28, 2006
    Cranbury, NJ
    Outstanding .... It's like walking on another planet. Good description and great pictures. I felt like I was walking with you. Jim

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent series.

My walk with you was much less stressful:)))))

4. Hi Gale,

I'm sure glad I was carrying a camera.... It gave me the excuse that I was taking a photo while I caught my breath :cool:

Bob