The Long Wait

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
The Romanic Pieve of Paullo, in the hills above Reggio Emilia is a place I have passed by many times over the years. I have photographed the outside a few times, but I have always found it closed.

On Saturday I was despatched by my wife to a nearby caseificio, to buy a Kilo of Parmigiano Reggiano ( Parmesan cheese), it costs much less if you buy it from the producer, and it is much better than what you find in the Supermarket. I decided to throw my camera gear into the car at the last minute for a scenic detour home.

Passing the Pieve I saw the door was open. Two ladies were cleaning up after a wedding. I asked if I could take some pictures. They said yes, and they even turned the lights on for me. I was able finally to get some pictures of the inside.

The Pieve dates from 980, although it has been managed and restored over the centuries.

DSC_6803 1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_6776 4.jpg

DSZ_8228 1.jpg

DSZ_8233 1.jpg

DSC_6771 3.jpg

5 With the 24TS

DSC_6783 2.jpg

6 Alternative with 35 PC

DSZ_8237 1.jpg

Real Name
Ken
As I have probably said before, I could spend many a day visiting medieval structures, and Italy, France and Spain to name a few countries has more than enough to last me a lifetime. And your beautiful images only remind me of my desire to travel. This Pieve is so beautiful in its simplicity.

--Ken

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
As I have probably said before, I could spend many a day visiting medieval structures, and Italy, France and Spain to name a few countries has more than enough to last me a lifetime. And your beautiful images only remind me of my desire to travel. This Pieve is so beautiful in its simplicity.

--Ken
Thank you for your kind words.

I live in a part of Italy that is not considered to be interesting. But I love these minor, simple buildings far more for some reason than the spectacular monuments I can visit in Florence for example. I have a fondness in particular for Romanic architecture.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Excellent set of images! Congrats of finally getting to photograph the Pieve and thanks for sharing the images with us. I especially like #6 revealing the small faces!

Real Name
Ken
Thank you for your kind words.

I live in a part of Italy that is not considered to be interesting. But I love these minor, simple buildings far more for some reason than the spectacular monuments I can visit in Florence for example. I have a fondness in particular for Romanic architecture.
I enjoy both, the large monumental buildings like the cathedrals as well as small local buildings. The roof on this building clearly shows its late, pre-Romanesque origins. In later years, the ceilings became much more ornate, so it is nice to see an example that has not been messed with over time. And thank you for the close-up shots of the details on the columns and capitals.

--Ken

Real Name
Heiko
Ah, I'm again longing for Italy. Thanks for sharing these beautiful images.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Excellent set of images! Congrats of finally getting to photograph the Pieve and thanks for sharing the images with us. I especially like #6 revealing the small faces!
Thank you. Yes, the little faces on the columns were the thing that this building interesting.

Ah, I'm again longing for Italy. Thanks for sharing these beautiful images.
Let us hope this Covid stuff finally finishes and that we can see you here in Italy.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Let us hope this Covid stuff finally finishes and that we can see you here in Italy.
May I join?
My wife and I have vacation at end of September, beginning of October.
If it's not possible to go to Portugal, we'll visit northern Italy.

Hope to meet you then
Klaus

Real Name
Heiko
Thank you. Yes, the little faces on the columns were the thing that this building interesting.

I might be coming to Rome/Italy this summer. Took my kids to Italy two years ago - my best vacation in a long time!

The Romanic Pieve of Paullo, in the hills above Reggio Emilia is a place I have passed by many times over the years. I have photographed the outside a few times, but I have always found it closed.

On Saturday I was despatched by my wife to a nearby caseificio, to buy a Kilo of Parmigiano Reggiano ( Parmesan cheese), it costs much less if you buy it from the producer, and it is much better than what you find in the Supermarket. I decided to throw my camera gear into the car at the last minute for a scenic detour home.

Passing the Pieve I saw the door was open. Two ladies were cleaning up after a wedding. I asked if I could take some pictures. They said yes, and they even turned the lights on for me. I was able finally to get some pictures of the inside.

The Pieve dates from 980, although it has been managed and restored over the centuries.

View attachment 1685390

View attachment 1685392

View attachment 1685394

View attachment 1685395

View attachment 1685391
5 With the 24TS

View attachment 1685393
6 Alternative with 35 PC

View attachment 1685396
I love old architecture and doesn't make you wonder how they built these long ago without any modern equipment? Especially the stone and the bricks. I wonder how they had the knowledge.

Real Name
Ken
I love old architecture and doesn't make you wonder how they built these long ago without any modern equipment? Especially the stone and the bricks. I wonder how they had the knowledge.
A lot of geometry and trial and error. Its the medieval gothic cathedrals that really amaze me. But again, a lot of trial and error, and we are only seeing the surviving buildings that did not collapse. Still, I agree that it does make one wonder with amazement.

--Ken

,Oh wow! The history here is so palpable! To be able to touch the ancient stone and reflect on the souls that may have touched the same stone over the centuries, What their lives must have been like! I envy you, Thank you for posting.

Real Name
Ken
One word: Beauvais.
Yes, that is among the tallest remaining cathedrals if I remember correctly. It is on my trip list, but I am not sure if I will be able to get to it. We toured the cathedral in Seville in 2019, and that was quite the treat. I had a preference for French and Italian cathedrals until we took our trip to Spain, and I am now convinced that if I win the lottery that I would tour that entire region at my leisure (including Portugal which is on our trip list).

--Ken

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Yes, that is among the tallest remaining cathedrals if I remember correctly. It is on my trip list, but I am not sure if I will be able to get to it. We toured the cathedral in Seville in 2019, and that was quite the treat. I had a preference for French and Italian cathedrals until we took our trip to Spain, and I am now convinced that if I win the lottery that I would tour that entire region at my leisure (including Portugal which is on our trip list).

--Ken
That’s the one that underwent partial collapse during construction. After the collapse, the nave and transept were never built -- just the choir.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom