The look

Discussion in 'People' started by Mitchell, Jul 5, 2007.

1. that says, "take me to the beach, now!"

The 50mm, f1.4 is rapidly becoming my favorite natural light portrait lens.
    My results are much more predictable than the 85mm, f1.4.
    The only drawback is how tiny it feels on the D2Xs.

[​IMG]

2. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Beautiful Mitchell. Man she is a cutie. :smile:

I could not agree with you more on the 50mm vs the 85mm. Nearly everything that I post is shot with my 50mm because of it's predictability.

3. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I love her expression in this shot Mitchell.

Great capture.

4. Her eyes are just lovely!

I'm curious about the "predictability" of the 50 over the 85. What do you mean by this? Do you feel the DOF is too variable with the 85?

5. Gretchen,
    I wish I could explain my observations about these two lenses with more than just my anecdotal experience. There is no doubt that my 85mm, f1.4 can produce sharp images wide open (see below). I just know that my keeper rate can be maddeningly low with that lens. I suspect it is a combination of operator error coupled with a very shallow DOF. I rarely use a tripod with either lens. I suspect my poor handholding coupled with the longer focal length make the 85mm more difficult for me. Shots are often just a little soft on the eyes. I would probably do better with faster shutterspeeds, but I use these lenses in natural light and try to keep my ISO as low as possible.

Hope this helps.

85mm, f1.4
    [​IMG]

6. Nice shots Mitch. I see your shooting with the DX2 again. How did you make out with the camera equipment stolen from you? Did you get it back?

Anthony

7. I'm still grappling with the insurance company regarding my claim. It's a long story.

I've since purchased a D2Xs, 28-70mm, f2.8, and a 300mm VR to replace the same items which were stolen.

Needless to say, I no longer leave any of my gear in my car.

8. That's a drawback :confused: You sound in the market for a 200mm F/2 :biggrin:

Nice shots, nice lenses, the 85 does a nicer job for me tho.

9. I can't imagine shooting portraits with that bazooka!

I know it is a strange complaint, but the 50mm feels too small on the D2Xs body. It just is not properly balanced. The 85mm feels much better proportioned. The 50mm feels just right on my D200. I just don't reach for that body very often.

10. Actually, Mitch, firing the 200mm F/2 from a D2x isn't all that bad. Great for upper body strength.. I'll keep using it until I get old. (age here is 74+)

Since going to a Leica M8, even the 50mm 1.4 feels huge. But, no way I'll rid meself of the 2x and associated gear.

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lovely photo ...the 50 rocks ..;-))

12. Nice! She has beautiful eyes!

13. She is a charmer and your images of her are always a treat.

14. This bunch has to be one of the richest gene pools on the planet... all these gorgeous Kids!

15. Wow... Great capture and great result.

16. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

You have an eye.

17. Cabrams

Cabrams Guest

Many good things come in small packages. And the portrait is great also.

Corey

18. I think that's a pro Mitch... it doesn't scare people away :biggrin:

Good shot BTW :smile:

19. Woody, I couldn't agree more. This site really has a number of strikingly beautiful children. I know it's not just the PP!!

20. can i have that kid? lol.