The losers

Hi Y'all,

One of my favorites to shoot at MI V and the rest of the year are our sandhill cranes. I'll always remember when my real estate agent took us to Herons Landing for our first look at the place around sevens years ago. While she drove us up Viera Blvd I looked out of the car's window and saw three sandhill cranes flying next to the car, keeping pace with us.

Unfortuantely as our local development keeps running wild the sandhills are becoming big losers to our unrelenting need for more McDonalds,etc.

254706821_7QwWw-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

254706786_So6qt-XL.jpg

254706785_ZFQ8A-XL.jpg

254706791_sHiHP-XL.jpg

256441626_r6obP-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And that would be a real shame. I'll be surprised if there is much undeveloped land down there in 10 years. Not that much now. :frown:

Nice shots.

D

DW Brewer

To paraphrase Aldo Leopold: "What if there be no more crane music?" That would be a most sad day indeed.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I for one was shocked to see the amount of new devlopments aond stores at the exit to Viera, it is really sad to see surely there is enough land on the eastern side of the road they could have developed?

Nice images though as always!

And that would be a real shame. I'll be surprised if there is much undeveloped land down there in 10 years. Not that much now. :frown:

Nice shots.

I would be surprised too Frank. No one seems to care about what we are about to lose forever. :mad:

Truly a shame to be in jeapody of losing such a wonderful resource. In just the past couple of years that I've been going to Viera, I've noticed a huge difference with the growth surrounding this area. I'm sure in another few years there will be houses all the way to the gate. At some point, we will certainly begin to lose the birds. Pretty sad when you stop and really think about what is happening.

Louie

It is a real shame when that happens. One of my favorite local spots is (was) the one Jim Fenton wrote about and tried to save in Haverhill. The city (?) decided the land was needed in case of flooding so they installed pipes and drained the two ponds. :mad:

You get used to going to a place - either to take photos,watch the wildlife, or bring your kids to feed the ducks - you learn quickly that only a few people appreciate nature.

Harry,
Very nice images of the Sanhills

You know my thoughts on not only what they are doing to viera in general, but what the horrible plans they have for the wetland we so love.
Very sad

To paraphrase Aldo Leopold: "What if there be no more crane music?" That would be a most sad day indeed.

Its not looking good. The sandhills are losing the areas they use to feed in as they widen the roads from two lanes to four lanes. The widened roads attract more cars and they drive faster on the wider lanes making the roads even more dangerous for the sandhills.

I for one was shocked to see the amount of new devlopments aond stores at the exit to Viera, it is really sad to see surely there is enough land on the eastern side of the road they could have developed?

Nice images though as always!

Thanks Andreas and I remember when I first moved down here the road to the wetlands usually had a few eagles and/or caracaras in the fields where there are now buildings.

Truly a shame to be in jeapody of losing such a wonderful resource. In just the past couple of years that I've been going to Viera, I've noticed a huge difference with the growth surrounding this area. I'm sure in another few years there will be houses all the way to the gate. At some point, we will certainly begin to lose the birds. Pretty sad when you stop and really think about what is happening.

Louie

Thanks Louie and I have noticed a marked decline in the activity here in the last few years.

Thanks Don, I love the sharpness on the last shot but sometimes I feel those full frame flight shots are more clinical and less interesting than some other shots.