The Louvre

Now that I am back in Paris... I thought I'd post some Louvre Pictures... To put things in perspective - on a good day (run of the mill day at the Louvre) 27,000 people visit the Louvre... Yup that's correct twenty seven thousands people in one day... I visited the Louvre 3 times in 2 days at the beginning of July then went to a village which has 7,000 people living in it ... Almost 4 times that many people visit this museum a day... Go figure, I have a friend in Paris this week - will meet him later today and incidentally he is visiting the Louvre today with his girlfriend... I should have told him to bring a bottle of water with him... :rolleyes:

Of course you can queue up at the Pyramid in order to pass the security check or you can go in the many other less busy entrances ...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But I recommend going in by the pyramid

View attachment 225807

Once you get down there - take one of the museum plan and trace your "parcour" accordingly... Look where the main attractions are and go for it... It is a big place worth more than one visit... You can spend a full day there - I recommend on Friday since you can keep your ticket to go in and out and have lunch and dinner outside while going back until 10 p.m. on Friday nights.

View attachment 225808

View attachment 225809

View attachment 225810

View attachment 225811

View attachment 225812

View attachment 225813

View attachment 225814

You can even get one of those portable computers with theme visits or free visits guiding you through the Louvres - or join a guided visit

View attachment 225815

The busiest painting in the Louvre

View attachment 225816

View attachment 225817

View attachment 225818

View attachment 225819

View attachment 225820

Other attractions

View attachment 225821

View attachment 225822

View attachment 225823

View attachment 225824

View attachment 225825

View attachment 225826

View attachment 225827

View attachment 225828

View attachment 225829

View attachment 225830

View attachment 225831

View attachment 225832

View attachment 225833

View attachment 225834

View attachment 225835

View attachment 225836

View attachment 225837

View attachment 225838

View attachment 225839

View attachment 225840

View attachment 225841

The Palace itself is a work of art... Look up, at the ceilings and be ... WOWED! :smile:

View attachment 225842

At the doors...

View attachment 225843

And the ceilings ...

View attachment 225844

View attachment 225845

View attachment 225846

View attachment 225847

View attachment 225848

View attachment 225849

More random paintings & sculptures, etc., ... :wink:

View attachment 225850

View attachment 225851

View attachment 225852

View attachment 225853

View attachment 225854

View attachment 225855

View attachment 225856

View attachment 225857

View attachment 225858

View attachment 225859

View attachment 225860

View attachment 225861

View attachment 225862

View attachment 225863

View attachment 225864

View attachment 225865

View attachment 225866

View attachment 225867

View attachment 225868

View attachment 225869

View attachment 225870

View attachment 225871

The Louvre is a photographic bonanza but please do take the time to sit and take a piece of art in once in a while... I do not recommend commando tourism in this museum... and be ready to be truly disappointed when you get to the Mona Lisa... Exceptionally not impressive compared to "Le radeau de la Meduse", "Le Sacre de Napoleon" and other less known and amazing art works.

View attachment 225872

wow
another great thread
so many more amazing images
i could spend a day just looking at all these wonderful images

thanks so much for posting them
excellent

Another great set of shots. Yes, the Mona Lisa is really a letdown when you get there isn't it....a lot smaller than most people realize.

The ceilings are stunning...as are the statues. I'm in awe of the people who do the sand sculptures, but then they take it up even higher working in stone....imagine if your chisel slips just a little bit?

Your shots are wonderful. Thank you for the outstanding photo tour of a place that I've always wanted to visit but have never had the opportunity.

Thanks for sharing yet another series of wonderful images. My daughter was just there and, as always, did not take enough pictures. Your journey through the Louvre helped me envision what she saw. So many great captures, but the one with the Dad where he is explaining something to the child while gesturing to the painting is my absolute favorite. Nicely captured moment.

That's funny... I have always found the popularity of the Mona Lisa to be surprising and disproportionate to it's actual appeal to the common art viewer.

Wow.
This thread is a fine example of how wide angle lenses can be awesome. You really captured some great shots on a larger scale when I think I would've looked smaller and missed a great shot.

dude,

awesome! I went there 5 years ago with a cheap film camera and did not get very good photos, I forgot how beautiful it was until seeing your photos. Very very nice man!!!

So, now did you stick to a fast prime lens? or were you using something else?

That was amazing. Thanks for sharing those with us.

I've only been to France once and didn't have a very pleasant experience. Your pictures are seriously making me consider giving that country another try.

Wow. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures. I was in Paris a few years ago for the first time and only managed to get to the pyramid. (Didn't intend to go inside because there were already so many places to visit in Paris)

But you convinced me that for future visits it is worthwhile to reserve at least a day to stroll around inside the Louvre. Looks like photog paradise. :biggrin:

Beatiful images. I was there in 2000 with a tour group from my niece's high school, got to spend a whole HOUR there. Talk about being frustrated and angry.

Wonderful shots Patrick. Yes, what lens did you use on the ceilings?
Thank you Rich, I used a variety of lenses, the 14-24/2.8, 28/1.4 and 50/1.4 were my primary lenses. I used the 35/1.4 as a second choice for some images where the 50 was not wide enough and the 28 too wide. I did use the 24-70/2.8 a little as well and the 70-700 for 3 to 4 pictures but none of the 70-200 images are in the post above.

The ceilings were covered mainly with the 14-24/2.8 as well as some wide angle shots .

What Lens did you use?
A lot of lenses but mainly the 14-24/2.8, 28/1.4 and 50/1.4, they were my primary lenses for the Louvre. For statues the 50/1.4 is great - now that I think of it I used the 85/1.4 for a few shots as well. I did go there 3 times in 2 days as such I brought different lenses with me each times. This is how I got to cover the Louvre with so many lenses - I used a D3 exclusively for these pictures but I am sure the D300 would have fared just as well - however I am not sure the 14-24/2.8 would have been wide enough for some of the shots I took.

Beatiful images. I was there in 2000 with a tour group from my niece's high school, got to spend a whole HOUR there. Talk about being frustrated and angry.
One hour is too short but when you are pressed for time... you do what you can...

Wow. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures. I was in Paris a few years ago for the first time and only managed to get to the pyramid. (Didn't intend to go inside because there were already so many places to visit in Paris)

But you convinced me that for future visits it is worthwhile to reserve at least a day to stroll around inside the Louvre. Looks like photog paradise. :biggrin:
Daniel, it is truly worth a visit - at least 6 hours is required but look at the museum map before you decide which side to attack first.

That was amazing. Thanks for sharing those with us.

I've only been to France once and didn't have a very pleasant experience. Your pictures are seriously making me consider giving that country another try.
Sorry you had a bad experience it is really worth a second chance - France is great but has its peculiarities on how to act in a social settings even when ordering coffee or food... If you don't act the way French people do with all the civilities required, the obligatories "Bonjour" you are ... Toast... Strange isn't it? But nice once you are used to it.

Outstanding series of images. Wish I were there :)
Thank you - wish you were here as well - I would love to pick your brains about photography and composition. :smile:

dude,

awesome! I went there 5 years ago with a cheap film camera and did not get very good photos, I forgot how beautiful it was until seeing your photos. Very very nice man!!!

So, now did you stick to a fast prime lens? or were you using something else?
Thank you - I went there 3 times in two days and used a wide variety of lenses, I would say my most used in order, my top three were:

50/1.4
14-24/2.8
28/1.4

And then I used the 35/1.4 AI-S, the 24-70/2.8 and lastly the 85/1.4 and 70-200/2.8 VR for a few shots.

What a wonderful tour of the Louvre!
Patrick, you've put on quite a show!
Many thanks!
I enjoyed it thoroughly!

Virginia
aka beaucamera
Thank you very much Virginia.

Wow.
This thread is a fine example of how wide angle lenses can be awesome. You really captured some great shots on a larger scale when I think I would've looked smaller and missed a great shot.
Thank you - Museums call for wide lenses as well as fast primes... Lucky me I got to try a few lenses while I was there.

Thanks for sharing yet another series of wonderful images. My daughter was just there and, as always, did not take enough pictures. Your journey through the Louvre helped me envision what she saw. So many great captures, but the one with the Dad where he is explaining something to the child while gesturing to the painting is my absolute favorite. Nicely captured moment.

That's funny... I have always found the popularity of the Mona Lisa to be surprising and disproportionate to it's actual appeal to the common art viewer.
You and I have the same favorite, the Mona Lisa well... I expected more, and was disappointed... Great painting but we can't possibly view it well enough as well as take the time to sit and enjoy it like you can for "Le Sacre de Napoleon" or "Le Radeau de la Meduse", and it is simply because of the way it is now displayed, alas the museum does not have a choice because of the amount of people viewing The Mona Lisa on a daily basis.

Nice tour, one of the best photo lessons is to study composition and lighting in great works of painted art, no better place than here.
Thank you and you are absolutely right about lighting and composition.

Your shots are wonderful. Thank you for the outstanding photo tour of a place that I've always wanted to visit but have never had the opportunity.
Thank you.

Another great set of shots. Yes, the Mona Lisa is really a letdown when you get there isn't it....a lot smaller than most people realize.

The ceilings are stunning...as are the statues. I'm in awe of the people who do the sand sculptures, but then they take it up even higher working in stone....imagine if your chisel slips just a little bit?
Thank you.

Exhilarating series, WOW!
Thank you Frits.

thank u for sharing, impressive
You are most welcome.

wow
another great thread
so many more amazing images
i could spend a day just looking at all these wonderful images

thanks so much for posting them
excellent
Thank you Greg! Now... get back to work :wink::biggrin:

Terrific series Patrick, great pics and very well done, the Louvre alone is reason enough to spend 5 days in France, aaaah maybe next time.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom