The Lowly 55-200 Kit Lens.

When the late Galen Rowell had to climb a mountain and needed to travel light instead of his professional 80-200 f2.8 he used to carry the cheap 80-200 f4-5.6 plastic lens.
I bought a 55-200 non VR kit lens with the purpose of traveling light. It is cheap, made of plastics, light, convenient and it fits anywhere in a camera bag.
This past winter, early this year, while visiting Key Byscaine here in Miami, my favorite sunset spot in winter, I spotted these fishermen returning to port. They were feeding the gulls throwing pieces of bait into the air that were expertly caught by the birds.
The exposure, previously set when I saw the boat approaching, was taken using center weighted metering from a bright area. I used curves to warm the picture slightly more than offered by the late afternoon sunlight.
How good is the little lens? You tell me.

SunsetKB.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D70S
Manfrotto 2031 with Linhof ballhead.
William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Hi William,

this very nice picture speaks for the skill of the photographer rather than the quality of the lens, since it draws attention because of a good composition and exposure choice.

Nevetheless, I agree the IQ of the 55-200s is surprisingly good.

In the end it's the skill of the photog that makes the difference...

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Luis for your comments. Indeed mediocre lenses can shine when sound photographic techniques are used. All lenses improve when the camera is placed on a tripod.
I like the little lens and its mate the 18-55. Both are great for traveling and both offer very good image quality. Amazing what can be bought today for pennies!
Thank you Nuteshack for your comments.
William.

Too often we focus on the tools and not the photographer....posts like this bring us back to the reality....Skill is a human trait....Very nice image.

Great work William, as Jeff mentioned above in the hands of a great photographer any lens can really shine.

Latest threads

Top Bottom