The Lure and the Cormorant

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    When people and wild animals occupy the same feeding grounds, it usually turns out bad for the animals. This poor guy has a nasty looking fishing lure embedded in his leg. Didn't seem to slow him down much yesterday. Just hope that he's OK long term.

All shot with the D2H / 300 2.8 + 1.7 or 2.0 TC.

Looks like he's saying 'help me': :frown:
    [​IMG]

Flyby (he did this all day):
    [​IMG]

Here's another one:
    [​IMG]

And one that seems unscathed, at least so far:
    [​IMG]

More of these guys can be seen here:
    http://flew.smugmug.com/gallery/819567/1

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hey frank he has two methods of fishing.

That is terrible though. Looks bad. Not a small lure either. Hate to see things like that.

Hope he will be ok.

Great shots though.

3. That is a shame but you know what that hook will dissolve and as long as he doesn't get tangled up with it prior to that he should be OK. Great flight shots and these suckers are fast and hard to nail the exposure you did a great job on both

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Uh that's got hurt :mad:
    Boy I hope he shakes it loose!

Frank giving me Lens Lust again :biggrin:

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks guys and gals. I sure hope that it comes out without terminal damage to this poor guy.

Paul, I expect to get the H back next week. Cost (to my insurance company) - $475. I expect that about 1/2 of the problems that most see with the 2.0 TC is that folks like me are not used to the extra length, so that a lot of the perceived 'quality' problems are associated with lens shake. I tried to reduce this on these shots by cranking up the shutter speed. Fortunately I had sufficient light to do that.

As to distance to this guy, I'd estimate about 300 - 400 feet.

7. Frank, I almost wish you hadn't posted these. They are most upsetting.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

8. Frank I think your images get better every time you post. You should do a 3 part series on your wildlife techniques...

I need to spend some time in your smugmug galleries to study your settings...

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Virginia,

Imagine how the poor bird feels. I don't know what the answer is. People like to fish where there are fish, but unfortunately, so do the birds. I saw a GBH in Florida on mine and Janie's vacation last June that also had one embedded, and there is at least one GBH here at the dam with one.

Kinda sad. :frown:

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Brett,

You are way too kind. In truth, I still very much a beginner (owned a cam now for less than two years). I get what I get by going out a lot, and shooting a lot. I also pay close attention to what the great shooters here (Ron R, Yves, Jim, Mike, etc.) say and do, and try to remember it all when the birds start towards me. Not quite there yet, but thanks. :wink:

11. Frank the isolation of the birds in these shots is fantastic. Can't wait till I can reach this level of shooting! Practice, practice, practice! :)

12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    That's too bad. Is there anyone or group around there that can capture the bird and remove the lure? We have a whale rescue team that responds when whales get entangled in fishing gear. I know the difference is that whales are on the endangered list, but it seems there might be some help available?

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Come on Kev, you're already there. Just need to go out and shoot. :wink:

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bay,

Not that I know of. I guess I should do a little research, huh?

Thanks,

15. Great pictures of something rather nasty. We had something similar at Slimbridge last week (no picture I'm afraid). In its travels one of the mute swans that uses the place as somewhere to get free handouts by intimidating the visitors had managed to get a hook with four barb things (used for pike I believe) and a length of line wrapped round its leg . Question was how to hold it while we took the thing off - here we had a lesson from one of the full time staff, she walked straight up to the swan, who was minding his own business eating out of one of the visitors hands, grabbed it by the neck then put an arm round the body, picked it up and marched off with it - now why didn't I photograph that :mad: . It did not take long to get the hook out and release the swan which walked off in a huff :confused: .
    These fishermen should be more careful with their gear.

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

It's a shame that you missed those shots. They would have been a real sight I'm sure. :cool:

As to the fishermen, I have to say that they really aren't doing anything wrong. They cast out from shore maybe 50 feet, usually less, and the birds fly into the areas where the lines / lures are, because the fish are just teeming there. It's just not a good situation for the birds. :Depressed

17. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Beautiful shots.

It is awful about the lure.....

18. Excellent shots Frank...the hook is a little disturbing. :frown:

Anthony