The Lust is pulling at me!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Mart61, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    I have a Sigma 10-20mm ex dc hsm on hold in my local store. Shall I buy? Shall I be strong and walk away?

Only time will tell.

Watch the sig for updates!

:)

2. Mart,
    You know you want it :smile:

3. Mart...
    Why walk away as you well know the further you walk it's just going to take that much longer to walk back to the store to get it. So save yourself a lot of walking and just get it... As Dave said... You know you want it...

4. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    We live only once, think of the beautiful shots you might have taken already if you had bought it.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

5. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Yes.. Yes... Yes...

My sig shows my bias!

6. The fact you have to think about it means you will regret it if you don't get it!!

I'm not much help, I know but I'm not in therapy so I'm not sane either!

7. I have never regretted buying "stuff" I got a lot of use out of. So think about how much you will likely use it and the potential pleasure you will get out of it's use.

On the other hand if you know you are the type of person who buys things and tends not to use them all that much; maybe you want to think about the potential to resell it. In this case I think it's pretty good.

By the way I am really pleased with mine.

8. Pesto126

Pesto126

Apr 13, 2006
    Northeast USA
    Mine will be here on tuesday and my sig will be updated.. :) go for it!

9. If you DON'T buy it, you'll have to keep walking away everytime you want a wider shot. :biggrin:

10. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    LOL you came to the wrong place for restraint! all you will find here is peer pressure! hahaha.

I love my 12-24. its great for those indoor shots where you need a really wide lens. only wish is that it was faster. F4 is pretty slow for indoors.

11. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Well I held out as long as I could. Just pressed buy it now on eBay rather than my local store. Save £90 on the deal and the lens is reported as new.

It should arrive tomoz so fingers crossed and look out for an updated sig!
    :)

12. Did it arrive? post some pics

13. Your gonna love it!!!

14. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Yep, it did arrive. Will post some pics when I get home.

It's brand new too! Absolutely spotless. The lass I bought it from implied she could get more, and other Sigma lenses too.

So, if ya fancy a Sigma, let me know and I'll contact her for price and availability.

15. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Well, got the lens home but the light at the moment is really bad. I'm not quite sure if I got a good copy or a bad copy.

I'm finding the colours in the sky are taking on a turquoise tint, pe4rhaps due to the fact that the sky is so bright and the rest is in shade. If I meter on the sky, the trees and road are too dark. If I meter on the road, the sky is blown.

Also how would I tell if the lens has CA? Can anyone comment on the pic below?

Road.

house.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2007
  16. How long had the lass had it up for sale in the UK, there was a big Sigma break-in not too long ago. Check the serial numbers, they have a list on their UK site about it.

As for the images, lighting is a pain sometimes with ultra-wides. A friend of mine has the Sigma 10-20 (I would like to get it myself one day or some ultra-wide), and he found that in the beginning he had trouble with the sky as well, I can ask him what he did to fix it.

17. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks for the break-in advice. I found that out just after I pressed buy. However, on checking the serial numbers, it's not on the wanted list! Phew!

I would appreciate any input your friend could give on achieving natural colours. I'm getting there though:

Godalmingframed.

18. Lust is not worth having unless you succumb...