1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The magic of light ..... and subject placement

Discussion in 'Birds' started by gillesk, Aug 17, 2009.

1. gillesk

gillesk

Dec 31, 2007
    Alberta -Canada
    Hello,
    The following 2 photographs were taken within 4 minutes from one another.

This first image was shot with the subject in an area where the overcast sky was brightly reflected in the water.

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then the subject moved a few metres under the cover on a fallen tree and the deep green reflection of the folliage on the water. Time to change the camera orientation to vertical as well as agjust a few exposure settings ......

View attachment 399546

Hope some of you will find something interesting in either of these.
    Thank you for looking.

2. Both images are very good, I lean toward the second on as a favorite. Excellent work on both of these though, as usual.

3. Amazing! Made me realize I need to get out more.

4. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    I LOVE the way you composed the second one.

5. Amazing! Made me realize I need to LEARN more.

6. I'm with them, I need to learn more and get out more.

Both shots are excellent but that second one is hands down my favorite of the two, the green refelection in the water really sets it off and the detail on his face and reflection in the water are superb, almost looks like a painting.

7. NYracefan

NYracefan

Nov 19, 2008
    Highland,NY
    Amazing images!

What kind of ducks are these?

8. gillesk

gillesk

Dec 31, 2007
    Alberta -Canada
    Hi Louis,
    Thank you so much.

Hello Diane and thank you.

Hello Rich,
    Always nice to work on composition even bending the rules on occasions can work.

Hello Bobby,
    Learning every day too.

Hello Jon,
    Thank you. Glad you find them interesting. I just like photographs to look somewhat different: in both composition and style.

Thank you.
    These are Juvenile Wood Ducks. They will be here until the pond freezes over and in a few weeks they will be full grown with all their colors showing.

9. NYracefan

NYracefan

Nov 19, 2008
    Highland,NY
    Thought they looked like Wood Ducks, but without all the color it threw me off. I have never seen a juvenile Woody before.

10. Very nice captures. #2 is my favorite the deep greens and details are just great!

11. kichu

kichu

Oct 25, 2008
    Europe
    another vote for number 2... its not that nr 1 is bad... it's just i like the mood of nr 2 better

good job

12. Beautiful reflection! I like #2 best Gillesk.
    Fred

13. Excellent work. #2 is tops!

14. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    #2 is faved by far..........shooting in manual????

15. Very nice example of how a minor change can make all the difference in a photo!

16. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    No doubt about it Gilles a perfect example of what a little
    light change can do.Thanks for sharing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.