The Magicicada, 13 year hatch. IMAGE added

This is the Magicicada, 13 year hatch. Audio added, factor the volume by about 3 or 4 X, and you will have idea what it will sound like at my home next week. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW9y4o33W_M

Well since this thread has popped back up I will add a pic I put on bugguide.com. I was curious as to how many cicadas were hatching, for it the noise is almost deafening here and there are holes in the ground everywhere.

I scoured the ground with a leaf blower, laid out a square yard and marked the holes with flour, it appears there are 8 per SF or 348,580 per acre. I live in the middle of a 1000 acre tract of land, so that's a LOOOOT of cicadas. :biggrin:

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nature is fascinating. 13 years ago, eggs were laid, and the pupa? buried themselves more than 12" deep in the earth, for a 13 year sleep. Now they are awake and on the move, and their numbers are uncountable.

They dig their way out off their 13 year old burrow, to climb a tree, or anything, and molt. I have tried to dig up the nest, which looks like something a cliff swallow would build, made with dabs of mud, but the hole wanders around, and I have destroyed the nest on all attempts to excavate Georgia red clay.

There are so many of these that in a few days it will not be easy to carry on a conversation near any woods. They are very loud. The last 13/14 year hatch droned on for several weeks and we were very happy when it was over. My wife attended a grave side service then, and the minister strained to be herd. It is really hard to believe how loud zillions of these thongs can be.

So look out East Coast States, the hatch is on the way.

All images shot with 60 MM micro and milk jug diffuser.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting story...and hideously ugly bug. :)

Food does not need to be pretty, :smile: all the birds are eating very well. The lack of birds at the feeder was is first thing we noticed, the clincher was 18 hanging on my back door. :smile:

No kidding lol, I hate bugs... I hope they don't make it to Rhode Island!

I am thinking their Northern range may be be limited by the temps, but I am not sure. The holes are over 12" deep here. I would think they would have to dig deep, to get under the frost line up there.

great pictures!

When I was younger we used to catch these by the wings, put them in a bucket and lastly throw them in the fish pond. The fish would go NUTS!

Real Name
Mike
Beautiful job capturing these creatures. Nature is truly amazing with unlimited surprises.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom