The Mighty Hunter (Long Post!!)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Patrick and I had such a good day at the dam last Saturday, that I decided to go back this morning (Patrick couldn't go). It was very foggy the first hour or so, and never did completely clear up, but I still had a decent day.

This guys sat down below me and watched for fish. He finally got lucky. Shot with the D2H / 300 2.8 + 1.4 TC.

The hunter stalks:
    [​IMG]

The hunter shakes and shimmys:
    [​IMG]

The attack:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotcha!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to shore:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost there:
    [​IMG]

OK, time to eat. :smile:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the long post. There were about 25 shots in this series. You can see more here:
    http://flew.smugmug.com/gallery/548648/6

2. Great stuff I can hear the machine gun firing now, and you worrying about filling the buffer up. Very crisp nice detail, isn't it just pure fun when you get a situation like that

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You betcha Mike. This was actually two or three bursts. I was worried about filling up the buffer. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    You Turkey! These are the best I've seen from there yet. Excellent captures Frank, I'm proud of you.

I'm in awe...

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Patrick. Wish you could have been there. I got most of my shots during the second hour.

Wanna go back over in the morning?? :rolleyes:

6. Man is that ever a great pictorial nature story. Excellent captures Frank. You have good detail and color as well.

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank

You're gonna have to work really hard to top this one pal :)

EXCELLENT work my friend.

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Great series Frank. Its amazing how they spear the fish with their bill. I caught a similar series last week but unfortubately I had to shoot it with my D100.

Excellent shots.

9. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Amazing series. That really is going to be tough to top!

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005

I wish I could but I've got some Honey Do's to do. :wink:

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Excellent series Frank
    I'm not worried about you topping it though :smile:

12. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Nice series Frank. How long did you spend chimping after the burst?
    I thought you were going to the pond this morning?
    Hopefully I can go next week.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I tried to get an RR flip out of this, but the sucker went behind a rock to swallow the fish. :rolleyes:

Chris, I decided at the last minute to go on over to the dam. Wish you could have come too. :wink:

14. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Excellent series. Must have been a rush to use the burst mode on the D2H. :smile:

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Jay. The H turned over 60,000 shots this past week. It gets lots of chances to demonstrate the continuous burst mode, and you're right; it is a real rush. :biggrin:

16. Really great series Frank...each one is better than the next!

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really great Frank.

Someday I hope to finish a series similar to that. It is fun to see the results and capture such a great moment.

18. Great series Frank! It's amazing that they can swallow a fish that big...

19. rat a tat tat , rat a tat tat............in the heat of battle. Awesome series Frank, was waiting for the RR flip though........... Im not a member of that club, maybe one day, and being that you are many times, will stop teasing you now :wink: Nicely done, two thumbs up!

20. Another magic series Frank. These are terrific and you captured the action so well. When you process a series like this do you batch process or just do one at a time? I hope to get out later today and get a few GBH. It has really been slow here the past few weeks.