The Missed Landing....Osprey chick

The Osprey nest was interesting yesterday evening, the two remaining chicks are doing fine and have fledged. The first few flights in and around the nest are really something to witness, it takes a few days of flying before the chicks can really nail their landings.

This landing had me laughing, if not for the rear talon on its left leg hooking onto the piling it would have been a total missed landing. As it was, the chick did a lot of wing flapping to keep its balance. Wish I could have captured this on video.

Update: The female adult has shown up again, she had not been seen by anyone for over three days then all of a sudden, she’s back. Maybe during those three days she showed up at night, I don’t know.

DSC00872 72wf.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC00879 72wf.jpg

DSC00882 72wf.jpg

DSC00889 72wf.jpg

DSC00893-6 72wf.jpg

Louie

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Excellent shots, Louie ! At times like that I sure wish I had practiced grabbing a little video. In Tanzania there were two giraffes "necking" (throwing their heads toward the other's neck) for about 15 minutes. Justin was in another vehicle and missed the whole thing. It would have made GREAT video! Instead I did it the HARD way. Since I was shooting hi speed, I had well over a hundred images. I took some interesting sequences, but them together in a slide show with a very short transition time, and made a short photo slide show/video out of about 90 images.

Nice images showing the practice needed for adult skills. I think you picked the right images to sequence the action.

Excellent shots, Louie ! At times like that I sure wish I had practiced grabbing a little video. In Tanzania there were two giraffes "necking" (throwing their heads toward the other's neck) for about 15 minutes. Justin was in another vehicle and missed the whole thing. It would have made GREAT video! Instead I did it the HARD way. Since I was shooting hi speed, I had well over a hundred images. I took some interesting sequences, but them together in a slide show with a very short transition time, and made a short photo slide show/video out of about 90 images.
Thanks Karen, I wasn't thinking fast enough to capture some video.
Practice (sometimes) makes perfect! And thanks for the update about the female, Louie; terrific shooting as usual.
Thanks very much Eric for the kind words.
Nice images showing the practice needed for adult skills. I think you picked the right images to sequence the action.
Thanks a lot Allan.

Great light and processing as usual. Glad to hear Mom is back. Any update on the 3rd one? Still in rehab?

While I'm not a fan of man made objects in bird images, I AM a fan of that landing shot in #3. Watching this family grow and fledge must have been a great experience.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom