1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Monarchs are here

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by aspiringphotos, Aug 3, 2009.

1. aspiringphotos

aspiringphotos

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas
    I didn't think the Monarchs would be out so early, but there were plenty at the arboretum today. I'm still amazed they are already here -- we may be in for an early fall. I'll try to get out there again this week, but for now this is what I got. BTW, they seemed HUGE to me. There is no crop on this shot at all.

3784074658_77a4762711_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Kelly,

That is a beautiful shot! Crisp and vibrant, very nicely done. IMHO, (and after visiting the butterfly conservatory North of Niagra Falls a few years ago), the Monarch is about a medium size. Saw a few types at the conservatory that were the size of barn swallows. I'm hoping we get to see some here soon.

3. MMPG1

MMPG1

May 10, 2009
    Germany
    Kelly,
    this picture is awesome! Nice tonality and a very smooth background.

4. 3whiteroses

3whiteroses

May 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Fantatic shot Kelly, beautiful composition and clarity!

5. I love the light coming through the wings.

Paul

6. aspiringphotos

aspiringphotos

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks, Herschel. I'm still learning about the different butterflies and dragonflies, so I'll have to check out the various field guides on them. They're so beautiful -- I'll bet the trip to the conservatory was a lot of fun.

Thank you -- I took about 20 shots. The wind was not cooperating and I felt lucky to get this one.

Thank you! :smile:

Thanks -- I like that too and hopefully we'll see some more butterflies on the forum with the light coming through the wings. Butterfly season is approaching. :smile:

7. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    gorgeous, they have such beautiful colors!

8. Beautiful shot, Kelly. Thanks for sharing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.