1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The moon

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by senna, Jun 26, 2007.

1. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    My first decent photo of the moon.
    D200 300mm f4 + kenko 1.4 = 420mm 1/50 @ f11, iso 100

[​IMG]
    Shot with NIKON D200 at 2007-06-25

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice moon:>)))

3. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Thanks Gale. It was nice to see a decent photo after some failed attempts.

4. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Any others with larger MM

I agree that looks great. I would have thought you would need 500mm or bigger with a TC to get good pics of the moon. How much difference in detail do the larger lens give?

5. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    The larger lens (plus tele) and the fact this is the first time since getting the D200 witch makes for better cropping. So all things combined.

6. senna,

you did a great job. i striving to do the same. saturday it will be full, so i've been practicing. i'm using the same setup as you are.i just went and got a right angle viewfinder so it will be easier to view the moon.

what time of the night did you shoot it?

laurie

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Shutter speed seems a little slow. My last shots of the moon recently were ISO100 1/160@f8

8. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Thanks for the comments Laurie. the right angle viewer sounds like a good Idea.
    I'm no lunar expert but I've read it's better not to photograph the full moon. To much light or something maybe less detail. Give it a try and lets see what happens. after all this is how we learn. :wink:

P.S. Mirror lock up is a good idea aswell. I used self timmer as have yet to get a remote release.

9. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Charles, would'nt we need a little more info in comparing Exif. full moon vs half or crecent. or amount of ambient light etc. does mine look over exposed? It does not look as bright as the actual moon did. I am interested in your input. Maybe I can improve with more info.

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Here is what I got with the 300/4 +1.4TC. ISO100 1/160 at f8. Mirror lockup and remote release. No sharpening was applied to this image.

Here is a little article about shooting the moon.
    165962831-O.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

11. Very nice moon capture, especially considering the low shutter speed. I find I prefer moon images that are not at full stage, as it gives a much better impression of depth.

12. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.

Charles I get the sence for this post that I took your comment in the first post in the wrong way. By mentioning the slow SS you were not refering to exposure. What you were refering to is sharpness. Is this correct? If so I can see your point. Although my photo has had no sharppening applied even in the photo posted. I have not had time to look over the article you linked to, But thank you for the link. And thank you for getting back.

13. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Dvid thank you for looking and commenting. I must say that I am allways moved by your horse photos and stories. I do admire your work. :Wink:

14. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Actually I was referring to shutter speed both both reasons. By over exposing you will loose detail and using a slow shutter will show subject blur. I am always amazed at how fast the moon moves across the frame with a long lens.

I hope you do not take my posts the wrong way. Just trying to help.

15. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Charles not at all. I appriciate the input. :cool: 

16. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Very nice image. For those wondering about the longer MM, I just posted with a 500mm and TC-20E.

Larz

17. flynnj

flynnj

Jun 26, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Excellent Detail.

Regards!
    J.

18. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Larz and J thanks for looking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.