1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The most difficult lens to use correctly is....

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jeff Lee, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Hi All:

Due to my 300 being in for repair, I am using my other stuff and shooting a much wider range of subjects. While I love my Nikkor 12-24, I find that on either my D70 or D200 it is for me the hardest lens to get the Wow images. Meaning that I have to think much more about composition, lighting, and key elements of the subject to get a "WOW" image.

Which lens do you find the hardest to get Wow images with and Why?

2. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    It takes a lot of practice to get the 10.5mm fisheye to produce truly WOW images beyond the usual "EXTREME BARREL DISTORTION" images.

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jeff-

i'm in the same boat as you are; my "problematic" lens is the sigma 12-24mm. i still haven't gotten the hang of wide angle photography. i've been working on it, but my efforts have been mostly stuff that i wouldn't give a second look.

i love the isolation you get with tele lenses and my shooting style has developed around that. having so much in the FOV of the 12-24mm just leads to confusion in my composition. i have yet to be able to "see" like the 12-24mm does.

ricky

4. I agree with the fisheye comment. It doesn't give the look (right off the bat) that I exepcted and takes some maneuvering of a scene to generate what I want to see. :smile:

5. I really like that first image Edward, really nice. I hope you print and hang it on a wall. I would probably crop it right before the first lamp post on the right to give it a better balance and get rid of the curvature. I really like the reflection in the wet sand as well.

6. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    The CA on that pier leg is pretty hefty, too (I've had the same issues with pier legs, interestingly enough).

I seem to be the opposite of most of you. I want to get close to my subjects, and my compositions seem to point towards wide-angle. I find telephoto photography to be much more difficult (although the 18-200 is helping me learn).

7. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Ed, nice images.

8. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Hehe, it's still a great shot. Fisheyes take skill, and you have it. I'm lightly considering the Tokina 10-17, but not for awhile.

9. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Nikon Capture 4.4 (and probably NX, too) handles that quite nicely. One click, and it's all gone.:smile:

I agree that the fish takes some getting use to. Beautiful shot, Edward.

10. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone got a photoshop action that removes the CA from the 10.5? DxO made me puke when I tried to use it. Waaaaay too weird and complicated...not to mention slow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.