The Myth of built in sensor cleaning systems

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by barriosa, Apr 4, 2007.

1. With Nikon being the only SLR manufacturer NOT to offer some kind of dust cleaning feature on their sensors I found this article very interesting.

Dust Removal Systems reviewed

If you don't feel like checking it out here is how the article concludes.

Dust removal conclusion
    Here is our ranking according to effectiveness:

Olympus: good
    Canon: poor (we are disappointed)
    Pentax and Sony: useless (we are very disappointed)
    If you are looking for a camera, have the dust removal as an expectation only at the end of your list. If sensor cleaning / dust removal is a must, the choices are limited to Olympus and Panasonic cameras.
    We guess that theoretically it is possible to get better results with Canon cameras when the CMOS sensor is not charged, but Canon must find a way to discharge the sensor first (if this is really the problem). If the system is so unreliable, the EOS-ICS is not much more than a good marketing name.
    In case of Sony, Pentax and Samsung cameras, the dust removal function should be considered as almost non-existent.

The final conclusion: keep your air blower handy, it is still your best tool against dust

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2007
  2. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    Great thanks for this!

3. Pete, no problem.

4. JoeG

JoeG

Nov 2, 2006
    Tyrol, Austria
    I give a sh*t about built in dust removal system, the same apply to in-camera VR.

the dust removal systems are only marketing - and a lot of people believe it.

I regularly blow out my sensor with a air blower which works great and is no problem. And if the sensor have to be cleaned wet, it is no problem too.

thank you for the link :)

5. I saw that article - interesting. To install such a system in a camera and have it fail*, it's a marketing nightmare. They will either have to vastly improve this feature or remove it altogether. I'd be returning a camera which featured this if it didn't work properly.
    *if it doesn't achieve the goal with 100% in this case, it has failed.

It's funny how we loath cleaning the CCD yet brushing our teeth takes more time and it's something we do every day - twice!

6. Besides people like belkin and others are coming out with better and better sensor cleaning systems all the time.

7. blessedLens

blessedLens

Apr 20, 2007
    Maryland
    interesting. i was kind of jealous when my friend told me his xti has a sensor cleaning system built in. i guess it aint do much! hehe

8. Solution in search of problem . . .

Sensor cleaning systems are an extraordinarily bad idea in my humble opinion. Even if they worked perfectly and the failure rate was vanishingly small, cleaning a sensor is too trivial to automate. :Whistle:

9. allenxchu

allenxchu Guest

good info to know.

10. But you have to admit - that high speed film of Canon Marketing with the lowpass filter "vibrating" did look cool as it shook the dust off.
    Giottos Rocket blower for me all the way!

11. I wonder what the failure rate of those vibrating sensors are? Can a jam leave the sensor slightly off its axis?

Just another moving part to jam up.

12. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Yupper... Just clean it now and then...nothing else really needed...

13. Glad I am not the only one who thinks that way. Now we have "live" monitors making their way into dslr's. Personally I dont see WHY we need a 3" LCD on a dslr anyways? I have no problems looking at the 1.8" one on my D70. Rather have slightly larger buttons than screen size.

14. Other then when its mounted to a tripod I see no use for a live monitor.

15. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I saw a review of a Canon XTi and there was visible dust right in some of the sample images, which was strangely left uncommented. heh :rolleyes:

16. I've been skeptical of these Sensor Cleaning Systems since they first came out and it just sounds like something that ain't gonna work well.

Question, where does the dust and other goodies that are on the sensor go after it's been cleaned by the camera? The crap is still inside the camera!

John

17. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Or do as Kodak did for the DSC760 - put the infrared filter infront of the mirror - no dust gets in when swapping lenses. Fool proof ? Nope but better at keeping the sensor alot cleaner than on my D2Hs.

18. Before buying into Nikon I owned an Olympus E300 and E-1. I used to change lenses regularly outside. I never once encountered any dust on any of my photographs in months of use and I live in a dusty climate. The dust from the Olies is shaken into a sticky area under the mirror. No system is foolproof though. If you get any pollen on the sensor, well, no system will get rid of that other than sensor cleaning swabs.

19. epicfish

epicfish

May 13, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ah, now we need some good tests of in-lens VR vs. IS.