The nature of hype

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beezle, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Just a mild rant. Feel free to ignore or disagree. Not the sort of post I usually do. Anyway.

So yeah the iPhone is coming, and I've noticed that many, many, many media sources go on and on about all of the hype or buzz built up around the product.

And many complaints that they are sick and tired of hearing about it (imagine working there :wink: ).

But something bugged me about that. Sure, it is in my best interest if Apple sells millions of the cute little things. But that has nothing to do with what bugs me.

APPLE ISN'T THE SOURCE OF ALL OF THE HYPE. All Apple did was build the product, announce it at a conference, send out a few press releases and some nice commercials. Normal corporate stuff.

It's everyone else going on and on and on.... and on about it.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Er, including me.

2. As I read this post my radio is taking about the iPhone.
    I think Apple has done a fantastic job promoting this gizmo that nobody needs and everybody seems to want. I'm sure that behind the scenes they've expended a fair amount of effort keeping the hype going.

Me, I'd like a phone that's just... well, a phone.

Don
    *disclaimer - it is in my best interest if AT&T sells millions of these things.:smile:

3. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    The Holy Grail of corporate marketing. A press release....and free marketing.

Apple has the media world wrapped around it's finger. Can you imagine how much money it would take to get the kind of product exposure the iPhone is getting right now....for FREE? Mind you, Apple is making images, tech data and copy available to the media so the facts and product are presented correctly, but the effect is nothing short of amazing.....

Buy stock.

:wink:

4. indeed, the world seems to be tripping over itself about a phone.

Me, I can most definitely live without it - I'll stick to my Sony Ericsson, that doesn't even have a camera.

5. What's even more amazing is that the iPhone has very little in it's feature set that is new. My Microsoft Smartphones have had the ability to play music, play videos, browse the internet, sync Outlook data (email, contacts, tasks, etc., now in real time with "push" technology), play games and so on for several years. Perhaps the only "innovation" that's different is the size of the storage ... the iPhone claims 4 or 8 GB and my phones are limited to the 2 or 3 GB I can get on a mini-SD card. But that's more music than I can listen to for a LONG time anyway!!

Apple has been successful in this kind of marketing hype for years. For example, bet you didn't know that for 2006, the Mac OS had more major security flaws than Windows? Or that more of the flaws continue to exist in the OS as Apple is slower to respond to vulnerabilities?

(Not meant to be an Apple-basher ... it's a very nice competitor and certainly more stylish. We're talking "hype" here and Apple is KING!!)

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2007
  6. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Specifically, it's the media themselves, as you point out. And when was the last time you got some hard, cold, useful facts out of a media report? When is the last time you've heard any analysis that was appropriate for the story reported?

By the way, Paris is out of jail! :biggrin:

7. New iPhone rates are out:

iPhone will be available in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (US), and will work with either a PC or Mac®. All iPhone monthly service plans are available for individuals and families and are based on a new two-year service agreement with AT&T. Individual plans are priced at $59.99 for 450 minutes, $79.99 for 900 minutes and $99.99 for 1,350 minutes. All plans include unlimited data (email and web), Visual Voicemail, 200 SMS text messages, roll over minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile and a one-time activation fee of $36. Family plans are also available.

As far as the "hype" and marketing, yes..I agree. LOTS of stories out there about the iPhone. As a mac user, it's nice to finally see Apple up there in the spotlight. I'll get an iPhone, but not this year. Eventually when it becomes cheaper though.

8. I'm pleased with my new Motorola Q :tongue:

But I agree, Apple is in an extremely advantageous position. They have spent a fraction of what other companies spend on marketing, and have much more hype. They have found the most effective form of marketing, and are using it to their advantage; the public. The public is talking about the product, making blogs, youtube videos, heck, even commercials for Apple - for free! With this kind of free publicity, a company finds itself in a very good position, so long as it is positive media, which, in Apples case, it is. They are in a very secure position, and don't need to spend much on marketing; they let the public do it for them.

I'm proud to say I have made a nice profit from Apple stocks, even though I have yet to own a single piece of their hardware (although I have used things and like them; they just don't suite my lifestyle.)

9. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    Randy, no one has said it better. This is why a corp hires a media/PR firm. And whoever these guys are, they have earned their paycheck.

The iPhone is so, is so, so...cool! This, as they say, changes everything. Cell phone makers will be working day & nite to compete. And we can see "convergence" even more clearly. Just think if this thing had an SD card slot?

10. What is interesting is to compare this to when the iPod first came out. There were a lot of naysayers who said, "what? Nah, that thing will never fly!" Look what happened... :smile:

11. Oft times the hyperbole hides the fact that the technology is searching
    for a purpose. "Mother necessity" weeps.
    I suppose all is well as long as there is an off switch somewhere.

12. I agree Connie; I think I am one of possibly ten people in my high school (Out of ~500 students) who don't own an ipod of some form. What I mean is, it's quite popular, practically everyone my age in my area has one.

Heck, until I got my new phone, I was still using a 256mb Samsung mp3 player :tongue:

13. Ken, where exactly do you get your "facts" about the MacOS having more major security flaws than Windows? Or that more of the flaws continue to exist in the OS as Apple is slower to respond??

You want to talk about hype? Hype is the Zune. Hype is Windows Vista. That is hype because neither one of those did what MS has hoped for.

IF the iPhone does indeed fail, then that's all this hype was for it..hype.

14. A gentle reminder to some of the posters in this thread: MS vs. Apple arguments really serve no purpose here. The chance of changing anyone's mind here is exceedingly small.

Please do your part to keep the Cafe a place where friendliness, courtesy and respect for other members rule.

15. I agree ... and as I said, I have nothing against Macs ... but I do smile over their ability to generate positive spin while MS products are the "evil empire!!"

My point in mentioning security had to deal with "hype vs fact" which is the just of this thread. If you want more factual info, I suggest spending a vast amount of time on CERT, an independent Government sponsored agency, that keeps track of security issues for ALL computer OS's. ALL have problems. NONE are 100% secure.

Apple just seems to be better at staying out of the spotlight on negative issues ... which is a testament to their PR skills!!

Cheers!!

Ken

16. I recently retired after years on the carrier side of the cell phone industry. This type of hype happens to some degree every time a new "innovative" product comes out. I had a desk drawer full of converged devices. The more different they are they more they are the same. Hype doesn't guarantee a success, remember the Newton? Even Apple has their failures.

What I have found with all these devices, battery life pretty much sucks. The bigger the screen (and this one has a huge one,) the more power it takes to get it to last even part of a day. Not to mention it also has to power 3 radios, the GSM, WiFi, Blue Tooth and speakers for music. Unless it has a battery the same size as the device itself (which they don't because it would be the size and weight of a brick,) it will drain quickly. Not to mention the faster the processor, more battery drain...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2007
  17. The change in advertising

In a few years from now it will all come out - Gorilla Marketing gone mad... Paid for news placements just like big blockbuster movies, corporate products are paying for your news cast, just as long as they mention your product or store or whatever... Ask yourself "Is it news worthy?" If the answer is "No..." Well then chances are it was simply paid for, I kid you not. :smile:

Some news items or paid for advertising are obvious others are not so obvious, they cost more. With the advent of the Internet Network News had to get more revenues. Advertising revenues ain't what it used to be and with Tivo and all other hard drive recorder the advertising of old is not nearly as effective as something inserted in a T.V. show, Movie or Newscast (be it Network News, Cable News Channel or Major Newspapers and Magazines), people skip TV advertising and paper ads as well but make it a news story and voila, you got a hit which soon turns into hype.

Hype? No.... not really, just plain and simple ads inserted into your newscast and no "Apple did not pay a fraction of what other corporation pay in advertising", Apple actually paid about the same if not more but... but they have just been smarter about where to spend their marketing dollars with non-disclosure contracts.

How much of the iPhone cost of purchase is paying for the marketing???? Just don't take my word for it, I know nothing about nothing. :wink:

The nature of hype, marketers have wised up as to where to get the most bang for their bucks, the nature of hype... well it is fabricated.

18. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Not true, the integration is the newest item.
    what is new is the software integrationand the ability to use the features easily. In other words, folks who have never used their phone for all of those tasks now may do so easier and with less menues. It is an integrated tool for the person, not a person learning using to use a complicated tool

That said, I am sticking with my old V3 Razor which I just finally upgraded to for at least a year, had to since TDMA is going bye bye, then after the second model comes out and prices drop, I will compile my PDA and Phone into one easy to use unit......

Function and Form, that is the key....

19. I'm not familiar at all with CERT, but I did find it and chose to "view notes by severity metric" which I think means that they list security vulnerabilities by severity?

It's here http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/bymetric

Apple's 1st one comes in at #112. Who's #1? Microsoft.

I don't go around posting negative stuff about Microsoft. I choose not to use them for multitude of reasons. But when someone posts information that is highly subject, it can be taken as fact by people who don't know.

Same thing applies if I had posted something that I read about some place about Canon or I posted something that may be minor regarding Canon but made it seem bigger than what it is.

20. Actually, if you search by year (i.e. 2007) and do a comparasion the results are much different.

But, back to photography ...

Ken