The 'NEST' brand Carbon Fibre Gimbal Head (from China)

This mini-review on the 'NEST' brand carbon fibre gimbal head, is likely to be of more interest to photographers looking towards acquiring a full-size gimbal style head assembly at lesser cost than better-known brands.

The world and its mother are now manufacturing gimbal heads, most of which seem to be closely fashioned on the 'Wimberley' design - some are blatant rip-offs; a few are even more expensive!

So, what are the pros and cons of the 'Nest'?

Weight: The 'Nest' weighs in at under 3 pounds, the full size Wimberley is a whisker over - likely because the former is mainly of carbon fibre construction. It is claimed by the manufacturers the 'Nest' is good for handling camera and lens assemblies up to 45 pounds in weight!

That a UK reseller is currently offering this model for GBP 209 (inc. overnight delivery) was, I will admit, the factor which persuaded me to place an order but buyers should be made aware that although the camera mounting plate is SIMILAR to the ARCA design, it is NOT compatible. Apparently there is a Mkll version that is, but I have no idea of the price or availability of that in the UK.

The head was supplied with a six inch (15cm) camera plate, double slotted with two fixing bolts with cross-heads. The plate is graduated and extremely well machined with no sharp edges. Both of the main bearings on the head itself are super-smooth with no discernible 'slop'. (Impressive) The two rubber sleeved locking knobs are large enough to grip with gloves - useful for those who work outside in all weathers.

The head is supplied with a good-looking 'Cordura' padded carry case, c/w the seemingly obligatory shoulder strap. A nice free 'extra' but of no interest to me.

This (dreadful) YouTube clip:
will give an idea of how the rig looks, but for goodness sake turn off the sound before viewing; the musak is DIRE!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom