The new 1000 megapixel camera...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SRA, Aug 9, 2005.

1. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Well, hold on to your tiny 12 meg camera because here is the site explaining it and sharing photos of its work. After this photo session they plan on building a 4000 megapixel camera. This is the future and these photos are absolutely outstanding.

http://www.gigapxl.org/

2. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    My favorite photo shows just how fine the resolution can be. Take special note of the last photo showing the women's wedding band and the man's Oakley sunglasses.

I think this is what many D2x owners expected... :?

http://www.gigapxl.org/gallery-BalboaPond.htm

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Paul,

You make some good points that I hadn't considered yet. However, at present I am struck by the rich detail. For me, that detail causes me to just dig into the rich colors and be absorbed by it. Maybe that will change in time. I particularly love the detail of the second posted url.

5. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    I'm a little confused with this thing. I'm at work, so I'll admit I didn't read all the technical info, but at first glance of the innards there is a film magazine. So are they shooting on incredibly large film and then scanning it? If that's the case, then I apologize, but I don't see what's spectacular about this. It's nothing new, just much bigger, right? Anyways, again, I'm at work so just glanced at it. Maybe someone can give me the cliff notes?

Thanks guys.

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

It's based on film, yes so it's not digital despite the "GigaPixel" name. And the resolution is partly achieved with the huge format (plus a good lens, of course).

It's typical that these images are all form and a minimum of interesting content. All people doing 4x5" or 8x10" are very familiar with this pitfall and it is sometimes quite difficult to avoid falling into the trap.

7. And I'll just bet they don't have any focus tracking issues with small birds against the trees, either. And I'll bet with all this resolution that you can crop down pretty darned small as well, eh? Maybe someone should alert Nikon as to this newest competitor. How soon do you think we will see a flurry of these on the sidelines at National Sporting Events :?: :?: :wink: GigaPixel, indeed, we don't NEED no stinkin' GigaPixels :lol:

8. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Good one LOL :D