The new 18-200 gives us...

Zoom Lock!!

Funny, it took a whole new product to do that.

Oh also,
There are also now three aspherical lens elements for improved image quality. The lens has Nikon's Super Integrated Coating for reduced flare and ghosting. Nikon has added a zoom lock, which allows you to lock the zoom ring when the lens is at 18mm so as to prevent the zoom ring from extending while carrying the lens, a welcome addition.
Hmmm, well the old one already has 3 asphericals

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/dx/af-s_dx_vr_zoom18-200mmf_35-56g_if/index.htm

so yay for new zoom lock! it took all of 5gr more to do that :tongue:

Marketing at its worse. Improved the coating. Added a switch to lock the zoom in, instead of fixing the creep in the first place.

No claim of any real optical improvement other than the "improved coating."

L

LSSE

I'm not sure what people were expecting....nano coat and constant aperture? no way.

Of all the lenses that they could have redone or updated, they did THIS one. This just baffles me to no end. Shame on you Nikon.

I'm not sure what people were expecting....nano coat and constant aperture? no way.
I would have hoped for at least some tweaking to the optical formula to improve sharpness at wider apertures. It's not impossible, and in fact some of the Tamron superzooms do better.

Not that I'm in the market for the lens anyway, improved optical formula or not.

M

MRCPix

why this lens I was hoping the 80-400 would be updated to afs guess not dang it.

I somehow think the whole thing was just a ploy for Nikon to officially add VR2 to the product name because they failed to do it the first time round. So now without having to read the specifications, Nikon has cleared it up that this is a VR2 quality lens. In any case, we shouldn't complain that much as I highly doubt they sent R&D on a year long project to develop the coveted "zoom lock" and the "new" SIC

Nikon,
BORING, YAWN, UNHAPPY, BS.
Why don't you listen to what people really want?
The 80-400mm design is 9 YEARS OLD.
and the 85 1.4 is 14 YEARS OLD.
and where's the 35 1.4,even the third party has the 30 1.4 and their 50 1.4 is way much better.

This is Nikon caring about the consumer market, not the enthusiast market. Hello, have market forces not told them the 18-200VR peaked in popularity and has spiraled downward? I guess this is somehow supposed to boost the curve back up. "Yawn".

and the 85 1.4 is 14 YEARS OLD.
and where's the 35 1.4,even the third party has the 30 1.4 and their 50 1.4 is way much better.
If you're referring to the Sigma 30 1.4 then it's not a full frame lens like the old 35 1.4 AI-S so no comparison here :wink:

Marketing at its worse. Improved the coating. Added a switch to lock the zoom in, instead of fixing the creep in the first place.

No claim of any real optical improvement other than the "improved coating."
*Cough*
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200MM F/3.5-5.6G ED VR II incorporates an all new zoom mechanism to prevent what is sometimes referred to as ‘zoom creep’ (the lens moves under its own weight when tilted). A new zoom lock switch keeps the lens compact when being carried as well.
Looks to me like they *did* fix the creep, then added the switch...

Paul

Bottom line is, not worth an upgrade. I'll keep my 18-200 without the zoom lock thank you very much! Afterall, I've got to save 2400 bucks to get the new 70-200 ;)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom