1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The new 18-200 gives us...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Political Machine, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Political Machine

Political Machine

Feb 14, 2009
    MTL
    Zoom Lock!!

Funny, it took a whole new product to do that.

Oh also,
    Hmmm, well the old one already has 3 asphericals

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/dx/af-s_dx_vr_zoom18-200mmf_35-56g_if/index.htm

so yay for new zoom lock! it took all of 5gr more to do that :tongue:

2. Marketing at its worse. Improved the coating. Added a switch to lock the zoom in, instead of fixing the creep in the first place.

No claim of any real optical improvement other than the "improved coating."

3. Political Machine

Political Machine

Feb 14, 2009
    MTL
    Oh but the old one has SIC too! :wink:

4. They claim it's an "improved" SIC. I'm truly amazed. :rolleyes: 

5. LSSE

LSSE Guest

I'm not sure what people were expecting....nano coat and constant aperture? no way.

6. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    Of all the lenses that they could have redone or updated, they did THIS one. This just baffles me to no end. Shame on you Nikon.

7. Political Machine

Political Machine

Feb 14, 2009
    MTL
    i was thinking more like less crazy barrel distortion

8. I would have hoped for at least some tweaking to the optical formula to improve sharpness at wider apertures. It's not impossible, and in fact some of the Tamron superzooms do better.

Not that I'm in the market for the lens anyway, improved optical formula or not.

9. The current gen one I have doesn't creep. Does that mean it's now a collectible?

10. MRCPix

MRCPix Guest

why this lens I was hoping the 80-400 would be updated to afs guess not dang it.

11. Political Machine

Political Machine

Feb 14, 2009
    MTL
    I somehow think the whole thing was just a ploy for Nikon to officially add VR2 to the product name because they failed to do it the first time round. So now without having to read the specifications, Nikon has cleared it up that this is a VR2 quality lens. In any case, we shouldn't complain that much as I highly doubt they sent R&D on a year long project to develop the coveted "zoom lock" and the "new" SIC

12. Nikon,
    BORING, YAWN, UNHAPPY, BS.
    Why don't you listen to what people really want?
    The 80-400mm design is 9 YEARS OLD.

13. niksig30

niksig30

Oct 11, 2008
    ph
    and the 85 1.4 is 14 YEARS OLD.
    and where's the 35 1.4,even the third party has the 30 1.4 and their 50 1.4 is way much better.

14. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    This is Nikon caring about the consumer market, not the enthusiast market. Hello, have market forces not told them the 18-200VR peaked in popularity and has spiraled downward? I guess this is somehow supposed to boost the curve back up. "Yawn".

15. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    If you're referring to the Sigma 30 1.4 then it's not a full frame lens like the old 35 1.4 AI-S so no comparison here :wink:

16. Southswede

Southswede

Nov 25, 2008
    Charleston
    Is there anything really new with this lens, other than the zoom lock?

17. *Cough*
    Looks to me like they *did* fix the creep, then added the switch...

Paul

18. WillyPete

WillyPete

Jan 22, 2009
    London
    Also, 2x ED lenses, old version was just 1 ED.

19. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Bottom line is, not worth an upgrade. I'll keep my 18-200 without the zoom lock thank you very much! Afterall, I've got to save 2400 bucks to get the new 70-200 ;) 

20. pure jazz

pure jazz

Feb 5, 2009
    USA
    I guess they never received the memo about the rubber band.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.