The new D90 has distortion correction!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by basharar, Sep 20, 2008.

1. So the new D90 has distortion correction built in with profiles for famous nikon lenses! Very cool, I think we should lobby Nikon to add this option to the higher end models D700/D3, also an auto mode would be great, instead of straightening the photos manually....

2. I find it curious they added several features into this camera they left off the very recent higher end releases.

3. Is this applied to NEF files, or only the jpegs?

4. I think its available as an option in the edit menu with specific profiles for nikon lenses, I have always wondered why doesnt nikon include such an option in there cameras, its very easy to know the values even for zoom lenses, so the camera ,<straightens> the pictures automatically "IF desired" ...
    right now DXO is the only software that does this, i find it strange why other competitors are not doing it...

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond90/page13.asp

[​IMG]

5. In fact the D90 has better iso performance than the D300 and Vignetting control, while the poor D300 doesnt?!

6. I just tested it out, it works on JPEG or RAW files but saves the result as a JPEG.

7. Isn't this included in Capture NX 2, if you shoot in NEF no matter the camera?

Craig

8. Guess I was wrong, there are only Vingette and CA corrections.

9. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Very interesting feature!

10. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    It's made of cheaper-feeling plastic than my D70 :confused:  That's my primary concern about getting a D90. Amazing features, but I don't know if I could deal with a camera that feels that fragile.

11. Gaius

Gaius

Jul 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    NX2 Distortion Control

In my NX2, Adjust/Correct/Distortion Control.

Jim

12. You're right Jim. I was only looking under Camera Settings. Do you think it is lens dependent?

Craig

13. Gaius

Gaius

Jul 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    NX2 Distortion Control

Craig:

My guess is that NX2 applies barrel and pincushion distortion correction in a generic way and no intelligence wrt a particular lens is involved.

Jim

14. Software packages like DxO and PTLens have an extensive list of distortion correction factors to apply automatically. I'm surprised Nikon hasn't added this to Capture NX2. Yet.

15. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    DxO is an amazing piece of software, but rather expensive. If I were making any sort of money shooting, I would definitely invest in it though. I've played with the 30 day trial every time a new version comes out, and it gets better and better. The distortion correction is awesome... And their RAW noise reduction is amazing. I would say as good or better than Noiseware Professional.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.