The new Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 Lens for M43 has been leaked!

Hmmmm.....why?
I have the 20 / 1.7 on a Panasonic GX-1 and I find it to be impeccable in every way. I am not aware of any issues with the current 20 / 1.7, are there?

Hmmmm.....why?
I have the 20 / 1.7 on a Panasonic GX-1 and I find it to be impeccable in every way. I am not aware of any issues with the current 20 / 1.7, are there?

Optics seems the same. I think they just updated the barrel to metal and perhaps sped up the AF.

There wouldn't be much point to updating the lens if they didn't update the AF. Relative to contemporary µ4/3 lenses the current 20/1.7 has loud, slow AF. I can't imagine shooting video with that lens and using AF. If the new lens is in the same price range as the old one, I will get it and be glad I didn't buy the Olympus 17/1.8. Heck, I might even buy it as a kit with the GX1 replacement.

With improved AF and perhaps some tweaking of already very good optics, this small lens would be a real standout.

There wouldn't be much point to updating the lens if they didn't update the AF. Relative to contemporary µ4/3 lenses the current 20/1.7 has loud, slow AF. I can't imagine shooting video with that lens and using AF. If the new lens is in the same price range as the old one, I will get it and be glad I didn't buy the Olympus 17/1.8. Heck, I might even buy it as a kit with the GX1 replacement.
X2

Not sounding too good on the improved AF front:

• AFC does not work for still image recording.
• The LUMIX G 20mm / F1.7 II ASPH. utilizes a lens drive system to realize a compact and bright F1.7 lens. As a result, sound and vibration may occur during focus operation, but this is not a malfunction.
• Operating sounds will be recorded when auto focus is performed during motion image recording. It is recommended to record with Continuous AF set to OFF, if the sound of operation bothers you. Also, it is not possible to set the focus mode to AFC.

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/lens/g_20_a.html

I guess we're left with:

High-class design increases the joy of ownership and further enhances LUMIX G cameras

sigh...

lol
The sheer nerve not to improve the actual performance of the product in ANY way is gobsmacking. Very Sony-esque.

I'd probably still get the new 20mm just for the improved metal barrel and slightly lighter weight.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom