Review The new Tamron 150-600mm G2 lens

Real Name
Jim Ledbetter
I just purchased this lens. It is so much better than the original 150-600mm lens. Many upgrades and improved picture quality. The 2 photo below were taken at 600mm and tripod mounted.
_DSC0256.jpg 1-denoise  2-clear.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC0262.jpg  1-denoise  2-clear.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JLH

I have the "old one" and it is OK, not great nor terrible. I got it on sale just before the G2 was introduced and I am sure they were clearing them out knowing the new model was hitting the shelves soon. I have never tried the G2 but many say its better. I just can't see spending the money on a G2 when I have a G1 that works OK. This hobby gets expensive when you start chasing the next great thing all the time. Hard for me to say if the G2 is enough better to justify the expense.

Real Name
Jim Ledbetter
I have the old one. Can you comment more on the differences and improvements? Thanks a lot.
Hi Phil - I found the original lens was cranky about auto focus and the photos were not as sharp as the g2. The G2 is very quick about auto focus and the focus is correct. It is more weather resistant than the older model. Offers 3 different modes of vibration reduction. Has an easy lock feature at any focal length to stop lens creep. So far I have no issues with this new G2 Lens.

JLH

Phil K: If you do the upgrade please let us know how you feel about the new G2 compared to your older model. Maybe I will hit the lottery and be able to pick one up that way if I read enough glowing reviews by people who have owned both. :)
I do a lot of wildlife and need reach. If money was no object I know what I would be using......a Nikon 500 PF with a 1.4 extender on the back!

Real Name
Randy
Phil K: If you do the upgrade please let us know how you feel about the new G2 compared to your older model. Maybe I will hit the lottery and be able to pick one up that way if I read enough glowing reviews by people who have owned both. :)
I do a lot of wildlife and need reach. If money was no object I know what I would be using......a Nikon 500 PF with a 1.4 extender on the back!
I have shot the G2 and the 500pf + TC
If I had to choose I'd take the G2, f/6.3 is way better than f/8 and IQ from the G2 is better. Take the TC off and the 500pf is much better.

JLH

If I had to choose I'd take the G2, f/6.3 is way better than f/8 and IQ from the G2 is better. Take the TC off and the 500pf is much better.
Now that is good to know! The G2 is vastly less spendy than the combo I was thinking of. Thanks!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom