The Newest Member of our Family - Sparky!

Real Name
Ken St John
My wife and I have talked about getting a dog many times over the past couple of years, especially after our son took off to college.

I'm NOT much of a "dog person" and have never owned a dg or had one in my home. Lulu had dogs in the Philippines as a child, but none since. We've been looking at our local Humane Society off and on for months, but virtually all of their animals are variants of Pit Bulls, and I really was not ready to gamble on finding a friendly one!! We also looked occasionally at CL and local breeders, and this past weekend saw this guy ...
IMG_8732.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

He's a Labrador Retriever/American Bulldog mix and he really grabbed our attention quickly .... my wife especially!! When it came to decision time, it was hard to determine who had the better "puppy eyes" - the dog or my wife!!
IMG_0549.jpg

But, we're both happy. He's about 8 weeks old, and seems pretty mellow, so far. Hope that trait continues. It will also be a lot more fun for me when I can hook him up to a leash and take a walk a couple of times a day (Lulu works full time outside the home, so she's gone all day!!)

He does seem to like to nap on my fat belly ...
IMG_0555.jpg

Wish us luck!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Last edited:
Yeah you got a cutie there. Sharing you life with a dog is definitely interesting. Sometimes good interesting, sometimes not so much. But always interesting. I've been around them all my life and when there's not one in the house it leaves a gap.

Good on you for not falling into the "it's not the dog it's the owner" thing with the bullies. In spite of overwhelming statistical data to the contrary people can rationalize anything. Interesting how schizophrenic we can be as a society. We're leaning more and more heavily toward pointing to genetics to excuse virtually any human behavior. But when animals behave the way their DNA dictates it's our fault. Go figure.

Real Name
Ken St John
Sparky looks so lovely ❤
Thanks ... he is REALLY keeping us busy!! So much energy, and he's had a few minor health issues. Looks like his birth home may not have been as "clean" as we initially though. Thankfully, nothing serious has developed ... but we have been to the vet a few times already!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Sparky is adorable! Once they are inside your front door, it doesn't take long to become a "dog person!" BTW, one of our two dogs is a pitt/lab mix (I call her my pittador). She was a rescue, and one of the sweetest dogs we've ever had. You just never know!

Real Name
Ken St John
Sparky is adorable! Once they are inside your front door, it doesn't take long to become a "dog person!" BTW, one of our two dogs is a pitt/lab mix (I call her my pittador). She was a rescue, and one of the sweetest dogs we've ever had. You just never know!
A "pittore"!! I like it!! How big is she and what does she look like "all grown up"? We're curious what we're in for!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom