1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Nikkor 70-200 VR draws attention

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Simon, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I got quite a fright today. I was trying out the lens and was taking pics of passing boats (from a lookout position on land)

Anyway, this harbour cruise boat passed me and I decided to test the resolution of the 70-200. I decided all this quickly and bent down, and picked up the gear for the shot. The moment I pointed it at the crowd on the boat - I got this response . . .

[​IMG]

All I hope that happened was that I was unlucky enough to be the recipient of the operators commentary telling the group about the history of were I was standing on.

The sudden turn of heads to look at me when I pointed the 70-200 at them was quite un-nerving.

Here's a close up:

[​IMG]

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Try the similar with a 400/2.8 :D 

Meanwhile, just get used to this. Keep telling yourself that it isn't the lens that takes the picture.

3. That's a funny story, Simon! :) 

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Get that all the time. Boy what a camera. Cause I carry it with me, like in restaurants etc. Because I won't leave it in the car.

Kinda fun.

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi simon-

i've received a lot of "that's a big lens" comments with the 70-200mm, but nothing like the attention you received :) 

ricky

6. This reminds me of a funny experience I had about 25 years ago when I lugged my FE2 w/MD and Vivitar Series 1 35-70 to a Rennaisance Fair.

I was with my girlfriend and one of the "wenches" (hey, that's what they call temselves so no kvetching) at the entrance purred out quite loudly: "Ohhhh, I love a man with a big lens!"

Needless to say I found it a lot more amusing than my girfriend :wink:

Woody

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Funny thing is some people seem disappointed when you tell them it "only" 200mm, after all there are small point-n-shoots with 370mm lenses these days (I know, that's just 35mm equivalent but still).

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jeff-

i had that happen once with my 80-200mm f/2.8 (the one-touch version). this one guy asked me what kind of a lens it was, and when i told him it was an 80-200mm, he asked "only 200mm?" i had to explain a bit about the max aperture being f/2.8.

i wonder what would be the size of a 70-300mm f/4 AF-S VR. i'd consider trading in my 70-200mm if the quality was comparable (i rarely shoot wide open).

ricky

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The Canon 70-200 f/4 L isn't really that much smaller than it's big brother, although it is quite a bit lighter (partly due to lack of IS/VR I think).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.