The Nikkor 70-200 VR draws attention

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Simon, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I got quite a fright today. I was trying out the lens and was taking pics of passing boats (from a lookout position on land)

Anyway, this harbour cruise boat passed me and I decided to test the resolution of the 70-200. I decided all this quickly and bent down, and picked up the gear for the shot. The moment I pointed it at the crowd on the boat - I got this response . . .

[​IMG]

All I hope that happened was that I was unlucky enough to be the recipient of the operators commentary telling the group about the history of were I was standing on.

The sudden turn of heads to look at me when I pointed the 70-200 at them was quite un-nerving.

Here's a close up:

[​IMG]

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Try the similar with a 400/2.8 :D

Meanwhile, just get used to this. Keep telling yourself that it isn't the lens that takes the picture.

3. That's a funny story, Simon! :)

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Get that all the time. Boy what a camera. Cause I carry it with me, like in restaurants etc. Because I won't leave it in the car.

Kinda fun.

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi simon-

i've received a lot of "that's a big lens" comments with the 70-200mm, but nothing like the attention you received :)

ricky

6. This reminds me of a funny experience I had about 25 years ago when I lugged my FE2 w/MD and Vivitar Series 1 35-70 to a Rennaisance Fair.

I was with my girlfriend and one of the "wenches" (hey, that's what they call temselves so no kvetching) at the entrance purred out quite loudly: "Ohhhh, I love a man with a big lens!"

Needless to say I found it a lot more amusing than my girfriend :wink:

Woody

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Funny thing is some people seem disappointed when you tell them it "only" 200mm, after all there are small point-n-shoots with 370mm lenses these days (I know, that's just 35mm equivalent but still).

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jeff-

i had that happen once with my 80-200mm f/2.8 (the one-touch version). this one guy asked me what kind of a lens it was, and when i told him it was an 80-200mm, he asked "only 200mm?" i had to explain a bit about the max aperture being f/2.8.

i wonder what would be the size of a 70-300mm f/4 AF-S VR. i'd consider trading in my 70-200mm if the quality was comparable (i rarely shoot wide open).

ricky

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The Canon 70-200 f/4 L isn't really that much smaller than it's big brother, although it is quite a bit lighter (partly due to lack of IS/VR I think).