The Nikon 1 32mm f/1.2 Lens - Early signs of an upcoming FX NOCT?

http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=13537

I was just looking at the review of the new Nikon 1 32mm f/1.2 lens and it got me wondering if Nikon will start releasing some ultra fast primes in the near future? This lens is fairly impressive even if it's for the 1" sensor. I could see the R&D for this lens going into a fast FX lens. What do you guys think? Will Nikon be releasing a new ultra fast prime with razor sharp performance wide open? Anybody interested in a 58mm f/1.2 N AF-S G lens? :wink:

I'd love to have a Noct, but I'd rather have a 50 or 58mm 1.2 AFS N.

No disrespect to those that own a Noct, but if I had paid a premium for one and the value took a substantial hit due to the introduction of an AFS version, I would be a little nervous. And yes, I have considered that some owners of the Noct don't care if the value drops because they're not interested in selling. Just sayin, if I owned one right now, and I'd love to have one, I'd be a little nervous.

The Noct thread, and some of the pictures that Mood has posted there are some of my favorites. Just love what that lens in the hands of a skilled photographer produces, but the prospect of an AFS version is very interesting to me.

just because a newer lens version comes out, doesn't mean its "better"

i don't care for many of the fairy coated lenses
IMO, they all have the same saturated, warm look

no real "character"

im not nervous, I paid much less than any new 1.2 lens prime will cost

and I doubt it will be a true "Noct"

I would love to have such a thing, but I'd never even consider paying what it would cost for such a specialized lens; Canon's version is over $2k. It just wouldn't be worth it to me over a 50/1.8G and an old 55/1.2.

no

love my Noct just the way it is

no real "character"

lol this stuff never gets old. The same occurred with every new nikon variant of
any classic lens.

And you're right, just because there is a newer version doesn't automatically make it better unless it is...well...better.

no real "character"

Fair enough, but many have paid 3.5-4k or more for a Noct, and as good as it is, it doesn't mean it's immune to a value adjustment if a new 50ish 1.2 AFS arrives that is a good performer, even if it's a $2k+ lens.

I'm not sure that Nikon would build a new 1.2 to be a true "Noct" with it's same resistance to coma, etc. For those that shoot astronomical images, or those that don't like the newer lenses character (such as yourself), there may not be a reason to look at a new option. But for me, and I think many others, a center sharp 50 1.2 AFS that focuses even remotely close to as accurately as my Nikon 1.4's, is going to be a much more useful lens. The only reason I'd own a 1.2 is to shoot at 1.2...every time. I can't rely on my ability MF at 1.2, no way.

I'll have to disagree on the newer lenses and their "lack of character". I love the character of just about every lens I own.

you're points are all valid Curt

I have a hard time with manual focus with my old eyes
but thats part of the charm

lol

same with the 100/2 Zeiss we both have
would it be the same experience with and AF-s version ?
who knows

anyway

if a new 50-58/ 1.2 came out, sure the Noct would take a hit
I would never have paid the silly prices some have gotten

I am not a collector, I actually use mine, though not as often as I wish
there may come a day when I can't MF at all, then I will be glad if there is an AF version available

lol this stuff never gets old. The same occurred with every new nikon variant of
any classic lens.

And you're right, just because there is a newer version doesn't automatically make it better unless it is...well...better.

Wow I thought people would be interested when I posted this and not resistant! I could see Nikon using the 1 system platform as a test bed for future fast primes. The 1 system sensor if in an FX body would be running around the 70-100mp range. It may give insight as to what Nikon is aiming for regarding future lens designs.

A couple years ago I also said the D7000 chassis would be eventually used for a Nikon FX body and some on the 'cafe thought it impossible! :wink:

you're points are all valid Curt

I have a hard time with manual focus with my old eyes
but thats part of the charm

lol

same with the 100/2 Zeiss we both have
would it be the same experience with and AF-s version ?
who knows

anyway

if a new 50-58/ 1.2 came out, sure the Noct would take a hit
I would never have paid the silly prices some have gotten

I am not a collector, I actually use mine, though not as often as I wish
there may come a day when I can't MF at all, then I will be glad if there is an AF version available

Yes, for sure the MF on the 100/2 is part of the fun, I completely agree. Make no mistake, I applaud your ability to do the same with the Noct. I don't have the same confidence in myself, lol.

Here's a quick shot from a few days ago with the 100/2. I shot it at f/3.5 and still didn't quite hit it right.

4eos.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After I got the 100/2, I picked up a Zeiss 35mm 1.4 because I loved the Zeiss character. I was horrific at MF at 1.4, and as much as I loved the lens, I just decided that it didn't make sense to keep it because I knew I wouldn't use it enough. Soon after got the Nikon 35G.

Anyways, keep up the good work with the Noct. Like I said earlier, I love to see that thread pop up on the first page meaning that there's something new to check out.

There's more to a Noct than being just a fast prime. In fact, I think it was more the other way around: “when we’re making lens with exceptional characteristics for shooting at night, we might as well make it fast, because that comes in handy as well”

But conversely a fast lens doesn’t automatically mean a Noct.

In fact, with all these 1 billion ISO cameras these days, if I were Nikon designing a new Noct lens, the very last thing on my mind would be an ultra-wide aperture as it makes so many other things very complicated. It makes much more sense to have a 1.4 Noct with near-perfect optics than a 1.2 Noct with less perfect optics.

Latest threads

Top Bottom