The Nikon 1 V3 accessory port adapter AS-1000 works with the SB900

Received the AS-1000 accessory port adapter this afternoon. Put an SB900 flash on it. Set the flash to remote and tripped it with the pop up flash as a commander. Lens is the Nikon 1 70-300mm. Here is a photo of a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird shot in low light with the flash at 1/16 power to slow down the wings.

Ruby-throated%20Hummingbird%204Aug2014-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here are some more photos. The more powerful flash allowed me to bounce the flash down and avoid the shadows that you get with a straight on flash and a close background.

Cranefly Orchid set up.

Cranefly%20Orchid%20set%20up%205Aug2014-L.jpg

Spider Lily

Spider%20Lily%205Aug2014-L.jpg

JPS

Great flash shooting technique, Jerry !

One thing though: it's a PITA that if one use the V3 accessory port for the external flash adapter (or any othe thing), one CANNOT use the EVF, right ?

...I just hope that the future (?) V4 will have a "normal" in-camera EVF, like in the V1/V2 AND an external flash port !

;)

J-P.

Great flash shooting technique, Jerry !

One thing though: it's a PITA that if one use the V3 accessory port for the external flash adapter (or any othe thing), one CANNOT use the EVF, right ?

...I just hope that the future (?) V4 will have a "normal" in-camera EVF, like in the V1/V2 AND an external flash port !

;)

J-P.
Yes that is the downside.
I use my DIY Flash-Accessory Bracket when I want to use the flash or accessories with the EVF. Flash is in remote mode tripped by the pop up flash.

Flash-Accessory%20%20Bracket-2-L.jpg

Flash-Accessory%20Bracket-1-L.jpg
Flash-Accessory%20Bracket-3-L.jpg

JPS

Wow... This is quite a combo !

One question: can you use the onboard flash AND the EVF ? I think I haven't seen any photo with the 2 things working !

:D
J-P.

Wow... This is quite a combo !

One question: can you use the onboard flash AND the EVF ? I think I haven't seen any photo with the 2 things working !

:D
J-P.
Yes, that is how I trip the SB900 with the EVF attached as in the photo. I should have made the photo with the pop up flash up.

Yes, that is how I trip the SB900 with the EVF attached as in the photo. I should have made the photo with the pop up flash up.

And I presume, Jerry, you had set the v3's flash to manual, 1/32 output - yes?

Peter.

Latest threads

Top Bottom