1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Nikon Cafe concept.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bestgolfer, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Hullo, I joined the forum today and have had a look around the site, looks good to me.

Quite by accident I came across an old post on DP Review back in 2006. This forum was referred to in most offensive terms......this really surprised me.

There was a suggestion that the comments about others photos were very 'soft'. Is this an old chestnut?

I would find it a pleasant change if that means members are rather polite and thoughtful when commenting on others pics. Harsh criticism is out of place anywhere, in my view.......sure one should have the right to comment critically and constructively.

Some of the rants on other forums seems to go on forever. Hopefully this is a rarer happening here.

Interested in any views on this matter.

2. this is the nicest and best photography forum on the net
    everyone knows it

you soon will, too
    glad you are here

this place is ONE BIG FAMILY.... nice to have you as a member

3. I think the issue some folks have about comments being soft is a result of the number of folks that don't seem to offer anything more than "Nice shot, I love it." for basic snapshots with no thought to composition or exposure. In other words, instead of offering constructive criticism to folks with less skill in order to help them improve, some people praise anything and everything posted. While this makes the person feel all warm and fuzzy, it does nothing to help them improve their photography. People that really want to learn how to get better need honest, constructive critiques of their work, just like they would get from their professor in college if they were taking a photography course. How would the student benefit if every piece they showed their instructor was returned with "Great job!" written across the top? Don't confuse constructive criticism with harshness, as it's not the same.

4. Welcome, you'll find this is the place to be. I enjoyed two wonderful weeks in your country,August of 68 R&R from Vietnam.

5. I spent one hour on some sites like the aforementioned and decided I had better things to do with my time than read one slagging "your work sucks" post after another. This place is fun and informative, with photographic talent ranging from newbie to accomplished, published, working professional.

The challenge with Internet "critique" is understanding the original poster's level of experience and critiquing to their level. With some, encouragement is all that's warranted and needed at their phase of photographic evolution. Others desire and need a more "doctoral" level of critique. To use the analogy of critiquing baseball players, one would offer different criticism to a AAA player trying to make the major league, than one would offer a five year old playing T-Ball for the first time.

What this place seems to avoid better than many websites, is the "bravado" and brash behavior which the anonymous internet seems to encourage in some posters.

6. For those wishing a solid critique, there is an icon that you can apply to the original post, yellow box with red checkmark. This is the critique icon. Without it, most photos will simply garner pleasant compliments. When asking for critique, you will get more replies if you ask for specifics ie. "I was trying to work with curves/lines/texture/backlighting/whatever, do you feel that XXX worked?" Or "Does this appear yyyyyy to you?"

Welcome and enjoy! :smile:

7. Thanks Gretchen, I always thought that icon it was just a pretty icon to draw attention to a post! :rolleyes: 

Welcome Mr. golfer! Indeed this is the friendliest place in "proverbial" town. Some great insight to be found among these forums, I've learned so much from the cafe because of kind criticism. ONe of my regrets is that I can't spend as much time here as I used to, but when I get back in it feels like I never left! :Love:
    Okay, gotta go......I'm....getting all .......:redface:......choked up! :tongue:

8. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Internet forums, for the most part, are basically anonymous. Many folks seem to think that that gives them the right to say ANYTHING to anybody.

The Cafe, however, is different. Most of us here, Mr Best, seem to go by the rule that if you wouldn't say it to your grandmother, don't say it to a co-Cafe-er.

If you want to post a photo with only comments, go ahead - you'll get some 'good shot', you'll get some 'beautiful view', maybe some 'looks a bit blown', and even some 'could you try again with a different A' or 'looks a bit soft, what's your SS'.

If you want a critical in-depth critique, just ask for it and there's a critique icon, too.

If you want to know how to improve on some aspect of your photography, ask.

Civility is key here. As Greg says, we are one big happy family! Of course, we have our moments, but what family doesn't?

If this is what you're looking for, you've come to the right place and we're glad to have you.

Speaking of which, could you add your name to your signature, so we don't have to call you BestGolfer, please?

Welcome to the Cafe!

9. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    There are bad eggs on every forum wherever you go. But coming from the Canon forums after switching my gear around yet again, I can honestly say that the people here have been nothing less than friendly, welcoming, and helpful. I have yet to read any condescending posts. And, usually, if there is one, it is quickly addressed by the mods. And the members here don't take kindly to that kind of talk. If you stick around awhile, I'm sure you will agree.

10. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I get excellent critique on a regular basis when I ask for it....what's the big deal? I give critique as well, some take it well, some don't but I shrug it off.

11. We think alike in this regard. This is a great forum as you will soon find. Here at Nikon CAfe one can actually receive constructive help in a courteous and respectful manner.:smile:

Please share your name and possibly add to your signature line.

WELCOME TO THE CAFE!

12. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    The NikonCafe has many, many wonderful members! Great advice on gear and technique, and lots of great photos to look at.

When you want help to improve your photos, using the "critique" icon helps, but sometimes no one is looking or commenting! :frown:

In that case, just keep posting and hopefully help will arrive!

14. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Personally speaking, when I comment on a photo, it's typically in general terms. That's because I'm new to photography, am in learning mode and honestly feel I can't give an in-depth analysis into composition, lighting, etc. at this time.

I'm sure I'll get better in time to offer constructive comments, but until then, when I click on a photograph, all I know is what I like or dislike - period. Sometimes I may not care for a particular shot, however, I respect the photographer for their thoughtfulness in posting a photo for others to view and enjoy, and I try to let them know it even if it's just to say, "Great shot!".

I'm a member of another forum site and while instructive, what has turned me off from that place is the sense I get that I'm bothering other "serious" photographers by asking a question or posting a photo for C&C. Their responses, if any, are usually curt and abrupt.

I much prefer the Cafe - to me it's more relaxing, I feel more comfortable and I'm learning a lot.

Hope you have a great time here, as well...

15. Thanks for the positive and encouraging feed back

Appreciate the time all posters took to reply to my original post......AND I have learnt a lot from them too.

Ron

16. Thanks for the kind words all. Just so you don't fee left out Ron, your avatar is little bit off on tint, tending toward magenta. :rolleyes:  Just kidding.

Quite often I greet new members with the phrase, our watchwords are civility and respect. The criticisms from that other site were that we are too polite; how can that be bad?

What is not tolerated is trolling...saying something quite provocative, just to get reactions. A few have difficulty adjusting to the rules; this is a family friendly side and we can have members as young as 13 years of age. Consequently rough language and some images need to be thought about before posting. A quick review of the rules will sort that all out though.

Ask any questions you like and no you don't have to search before asking or read the "friendly" manual either. Lots of folks enjoy helping.

17. These are the best guys and gals you will find on any forum! We don't all agree on everything, but we can 'agree to disagree' as someone in a recent post here said. That is what makes this forum so nice.

Lots to learn from some real pro's here.
    ( Me not being one of those) :smile:

Great photos a techniques that are shared. You will have a ball!

Don

18. I'd rather get an honest critique with solid suggestions on how to improve than an "attaboy."

19. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    The best photo advice I ever received was from this forum. Ask for what you want and you will receive.

20. You generally have to ask for "hard" comments here . The 'new' wedding and portrait section generates some 'harder' C&C because it is meant as a more professional section . This site is well administered otherwise and we all learn from each other .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.