The Nikon V3 announced and 70-300 VR for the 1 system

I'm sure it's a technological marvel, but I'm scratching my head with what direction Nikon is going with the V3 especially with a $1,199.95 price, though that comes with the new power zoom lens, EVF and grip. Also the V3 comes with an optional EVF instead of a built-in one. A very strange design decision that goes backwards in my opinion.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/03/13/nikon-1-v3-offers-improved-af-system-and-faster-continuous-shooting#press

Also announced is the new 70-300 VR with a $999.95 price tag!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/03/13/nikon-reveals-70-300mm-telezoom-and-10-30mm-powerzoom-for-1-system?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_3

Last edited:
Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Hm. So for $2300 one gets a 18 mp mirrorless with an kit lens and a 800mm equivalent zoom lens? I will be very curious to see the tests of this combo, I kind of doubt it will beat my 600 VR + TC14EII and D800e combo, but for a lightweight kit it is still interesting. Pricing in general, the OMD E1 body only is $1200 or so right? If this camera can deliver, then it could be well worth the price? I guess the proof is in the pudding, I will look forward to the tests

the direction is understandable, not sure what is unclear about it imo. i'm loving the look of it initially. 20fps c-af, good grip, twin command wheels, touch flip screen, 1080p@60fps.
whats questionable and completely irrational is the price tag and what would appear to be some silly decisions on control functionality...df anyone ?

i'll pick it up in a year for half price. i love the look of it.

Hm. So for $2300 one gets a 18 mp mirrorless with an kit lens and a 800mm equivalent zoom lens? I will be very curious to see the tests of this combo, I kind of doubt it will beat my 600 VR + TC14EII and D800e combo, but for a lightweight kit it is still interesting. Pricing in general, the OMD E1 body only is $1200 or so right? If this camera can deliver, then it could be well worth the price? I guess the proof is in the pudding, I will look forward to the tests
I wasn't too happy with my Nikon V1 + FT-1 adapter in comparison using the same lens setup and my D800. The V1/FT-1 combo just wasn't as sharp especially at infinity. I think with the V3, it's really dependent on this new sensor if it'll be any good for shooting long.

the direction is understandable, not sure what is unclear about it imo. i'm loving the look of it initially. 20fps c-af, good grip, twin command wheels, touch flip screen, 1080p@60fps.
whats questionable and completely irrational is the price tag and what would appear to be some silly decisions on control functionality...df anyone ?

i'll pick it up in a year for half price. i love the look of it.
I think Nikon went backwards having a built-in EVF in the V1/V2 and then switching to an optional EVF. I actually liked the V2 quite a bit, despite being really ugly. Felt good in hand and was super responsive. It really comes down to sensor performance if the new 18mp chip can perform.

I think Nikon went backwards having a built-in EVF in the V1/V2 and then switching to an optional EVF. I actually liked the V2 quite a bit, despite being really ugly. Felt good in hand and was super responsive. It really comes down to sensor performance if the new 18mp chip can perform.
Yes, I can understand why you feel that way. I suspect this was a size and cost trade off with the preference being smaller size and lower cost. Like you I would have preferred a VF aswell but if it af's as well as the v1, (best AF I've ever used on anything period), adds a bit more resolution, no olpf, a flippy touchy screen, twin command dials and 60fps video...well I'm pretty damn stoked to be honest. As a $500 camera it's a no brainer for me cos I already have glass. I'd take it over my ep5 any day of the week purely down to AF. I want one. NOT for $1200 kit or $1000 body only. That's ridiculous.

Oh just noticed that kit price is with grip and Evf aswell ? It's not THAT bad if it performs as well as I think it will.

I was in a hide photographing kingfishers 3 weeks ago with my d4 and 500vr with 1.7x tc and a guy came in with a Nikon v2 on the back of his 500vr.

We got talking and he showed me some shots. He also had his d3 and d7100 with him and kept switching between bodies.

The 1 series is definitely no d3 or d4 rival, apart from the continuous tracking speed which is amazing and the focus acquisition seems to be very fast too, but he was saying his v2 and 500 vr combo is giving him much better images than his d300 and 500vr combo did upto about iso 2500.

I think the v3 will make a great teleconverter when you need massive reach.

The v3 with the 500vr gives 1350mm and add the 1.7x tc and you are upto 2250mm.

He was getting full frame close up shots of the kingfisher that he could print at upto a3+ when it landed on the furthest away branches that I just couldn't get anywhere near to.

Yes it looks a little small sat on the back of a 500vr but if you are on a gimbal head it doesn't matter and if you have a remote release attached to the camera it works well hand held too.

Micro SD card? How fast are these? Will that slow the write speed?

This actually looks pretty interesting overall.

Disappointed no AW gear was announced. Really want a 10-100 AW lens for outdoor waterpark and pool type stuff, but this is pretty cool kit. Yeah I'll pickup a V3 for half the price in a year also. The 70-300 sounds awesome, but at USD $1000 it qualifies as a beach weekend rental for me and not an actual purchase. I passed on buying a 100-400L lens for the same reason also. Too big of an investment that would be used too seldom to qualify for a purchase. Wonder when the J4 is coming out? You can't buy anything but the J1 at deep discounts here in the U.S. anymore. The J3's are all gone from blowout sales.

JPS

About the "new" 70-300, somethink I don't understand: the so-called 10-30mm (for the Nikon 1 system) gives a field of view similar to a 27-81mm in FX format, right ?

Hence, following the same logic, the 70-300 should give a -comparative- FOV of 189-810mm !

....or am I completely wrong ?

;-/
J-P.

Last edited:
Real Name
Randy
i just canceled my 600vr order until i can sort this out
at my age this much change is alot of change:)

will someone pls tell me what 'the catch' is here or does this really change everything for us wildlife shooters ?

I guess this is good option for outdoorsmen/women who hike a lot of miles, shoot a lot of telephoto in bright sun light, and don't mind giving up DoF control; $2,200 for the V3+70-300 sounds like a reasonable premium for carrying much less weight.

For people like myself who mainly shoot under 200mm FoV with low/available light and like thin DoF, $2,200 would get me a large sensor mirror-less and couple of sharp fast primes.

Horse for courses

Disregarding the price, it's a good body with some improvement over the previous one, but no innovative changes.

I think what the 1 series lacks is not new bodies, but more lenses.

For people like myself who mainly shoot under 200mm FoV with low/available light and like thin DoF, $2,200 would get me a large sensor mirror-less and couple of sharp fast primes.

Horse for courses
True, but none of them focus like the 1 series. That's the key appeal here.

Real Name
Randy
so i stick my 500vr on this and how does the IQ(as in fine feather detail on a bird) compare to my D4 at say iso 800 ?
close, as good, better ?

let's for argument sake say the d4 + 500 is a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10
What is the Nikon 1 V3 ?

JPS

Oooops ! I guess Nikon is right and I was too suspicious: the new 70-300 will INDEED have a field of view of 189-810 mm !!!

A super-duper telelens, with an aperture of f/4.5-5.6.... BUT a VR system giving 4to 4.5 stops gain !! Wow !!!

Still.... the price is steep, and, on top of that, if one want a tripod mount, one will have to pay a few $$$ extra !

Nikon is REALLY GREEDY !

:(
J-P.

About the "new" 70-300, somethink I don't understand: the so-called 10-30mm (for the Nikon 1 system) gives a field of view similar to a 27-81mm in FX format, right ?

Hence, following the same logic, the 70-300 should give a -comparative- FOV of 189-810mm !

....or am I completely wrong ?

;-/
J-P.
Yep you are completely right

Real Name
Randy
I guess this is good option for outdoorsmen/women who hike a lot of miles, shoot a lot of telephoto in bright sun light, and don't mind giving up DoF control; $2,200 for the V3+70-300 sounds like a reasonable premium for carrying much less weight.

Horse for courses

so this is not a good solution for you (your post was not clear)
how will the 200/2 behave on this new body ?

p.s. outdoorswomen

Real Name
Randy
Oooops ! I guess Nikon is right and I was too suspicious: the new 70-300 will INDEED have a field of view of 189-810 mm !!!

A super-duper telelens, with an aperture of f/4.5-5.6.... BUT a VR system giving 4to 4.5 stops gain !! Wow !!!

Still.... the price is steep, and, on top of that, if one want a tripod mount, one will have to pay a few $$$ extra !

Nikon is REALLY GREEDY !

:(
J-P.

steep ? are you kidding

my 500 was 8k
my d4 was 6k
and it's like taking my couch with me on a hike

ok so I have been ignoring 4/3's, mirrorless, etc while i was busy shooting the daylights out of my dslr gear and now I'm paying attention:)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom